Buying winter tires and rims for my car

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Buying winter tires and rims for my car

I'm going to buy winter tires and rims soon. My car currently has 16 inch rims.
This may sound like a stupid question but would I have anything to gain performance wise from buying 15 or 14 inch rims?

Thanks

posted by  Driver-88

You'll get less rotational inertia per wheel which should give you better acceleration.

However, you will also get decreased ride height (assuming you stay with the same thickness of tire) which will not help you in the deep snow (another assumption).

I would go for increased performance in your summer tires and increased traction / height in your winter tires.

posted by  theman352001

When "plus sizing" wheels, tire diameter remains approximately the same while diameter of wheel increases. This means sidewall height is reduced, producing arguably better cornering performance at the cost of ride comfort. Current fashion seems to prefer maximum wheel diameter, minimum sidewall height. Taken to its logical end, we'll soon have wheels that look like those on railroad luggage dollies.

I don't live in snow country, but if I did, I think I would prefer maximum traction over cornering performance when choosing winter wheels. And a fashionable look counts for little when sliding into a ditch.

But, I'm an old guy who won't take his Miata out in snow.

:2cents: FWIW

posted by  gravistar

You'll also throw your speedometer off by changing wheel sizes.

posted by  KNTRDR

How is that?
With smaller rims I’d just get bigger sidewalls.

posted by  Driver-88

Your Message