1990 Beretta....knocking

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1990 Beretta....knocking

Well, this is a ver very unfortunate thing to happen to me. My GTZ had the grinding noise when the rpms droped (when I shifted or turned off the car) and I soon there after found out that it was from the fact that my oil seemed to have completely leaked out over the span of 3000 miles. anyways, I filled it up with 2 quarts and it says add 1 quart. So this morning, I get in it to drive to Speedway or something to buy that quart of oil, and I hear a knocking when it's trying to start. When it started, the knocking was still there so I popped the hood to see if I could tell where it was coming from. Well, It sounded the same everywhere I went around the engine compartment. I turned the car off and didn't get that quart of oil. I talked to some other people about it and the 2 answers (more like guesses) on what it could be is a ****ed crank, and a rod knock from a spun bearing. These are pretty damn expensive fixes for my car and after it just got a new clutch, I DON'T want anything else to go wrong with it. So if anybody could PLEASE help me, I'd really appriciate it.

Btw, the engine is a 2.3L High Output Quad 4.

posted by  Satty101

It is most likely a rod knock. The crank and bearings did not get the lubrication they needed. It happened to my 3.8L the oil pump wasnt working properly, at idle the oil pressure gauge was in the red almost none at all, when ur driving it builds up but it still wasnt enough. And eventually it just started knocking. lol the car lasted 1000km or so with it before i got i rebuilt.

posted by  speedy266

Ok. Thanks. I'm going to snatch a different motor from a GTZ with a quad from 93-94. I'll get pics when I do it. Tommorrow night.

posted by  Satty101

Rebuild it man! custom interals trust me from experience dont get a used engine it'll just give u problems u dont know how its been treated or maintained. Rebuilding will get u all new gaskets for sure so ur garunteed no leaks. But with the engine apart u can get the head worked on to all new valves and stuff. I know those engines are powerful, id like to get one myself one day. rebuild it, make it tougher and get it supercharged all custom work over 400HP for sure and those cars are really light so it would be one fast car!

posted by  speedy266

Get a turbo for one...13s in the quarter with no other mods. 15s stock. :mrgreen:

posted by  Satty101

Your Message