Brake Fluid Question..

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Brake Fluid Question..

Is it soppose to be black/brownish in color?

posted by  Mustang90210

No. Brake fluid at least any I've ever seen is clear. It gets brown when it has been used for a while and that is a sure sign that it needs to be changed. any shop should be able to do it for you if you dont want to do it your self. If you want to do it yourself. If you want to do it yourself I can give you more information.

posted by  wizzyb82

I would like to do it my self, but i dunno were to get stuff to bleed the brakes, etc..

posted by  Mustang90210

Any auto parts store should have what you need. there is an assembly called a one man brake bleeder which you may be interested in. All you have to do is jack up one wheel at a time (if you can't get the whole car up on jack stands) and attach the plastic hose to the bleeder valve. Once its attached you can loosen it and then go in the car and push the brake pedal. Do this for every wheel untill the fluid comes out clear I would start with the rear pas. then rear driv. then front pas. and front driv. MAKE SURE THAT YOU KEEP THE RESIVIOR FULL!!! OR YOU WILL NEED TO START AGAIN.

posted by  wizzyb82

Gravity bleed the system should be adequate enough dude.Just spray all of the bleeder screws with JB blaster or liquid wrench a day in advance(hopefully they all come loose without a hitch).Next day raise vehicle up on jack stands all 4(loosen lugnuts before raising vehicle)...remove wheels.Place plastic bags,gallon milk Jugs cut to catch the brake fluid or other suitable drip pan.Take off the Master cylinder top cover leave it open ...place a rag over it so bugs and or dirt doesn't get it.Loosen all 4 bleeder screws and allow to drain overnight....at least 8 hours.In the morning or afternoon....tighten all 4 bleeder screws back up,fill master with fresh fluid close up..an bang all done...NO FURTHER BLEEDINg NECESSARY unless someone stepped on brakes while it was bleeding before you closed the screws up....thank me later.

That should be good enough...but if you want to flush system...just add more brake fluid to resevoir as fluid gets gravity bled out..until what comes out from bleeders is clear...might take awhile but won't cost any extra for equipment and it will be done right.

posted by  Lugnuts

:screwy: What the hell? :screwy:

posted by  DodgeRida67

lol, i think thats to flush the system... i think :banghead:

posted by  Mustang90210

Sounds like a load of crap to me.

posted by  DodgeRida67

tbaxleyjr, is it just me or is lugnuts' method of bleeding the brakes a little whacko? Do you even think he knows what brakes do?

posted by  DodgeRida67

You DildoRida are the last person who should be identifying others inability to correctly respond to peoples technical questions. In this case you are luckily (and amazingly) correct that wussyb82's response was incorrect but he (she?) seems to have a proud track record of saying stupid things. On the other hand all you have to do is read about his exploits in brake repair land to see he is perhaps the last person who should be giving advice.

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=5362

That being said, you are perhaps the second least well qualified person to be giving out advice on brakes. Let's look at this thread;

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=5261&highlight=paper+towel< br />
Give me a break. Did it ever occur to you that by "dabbing a paper towel" into the reservoir you are not only introducing contaminants into the brake fluid but most likely a fair amount of moisture as well? Reality check, brake fluid is hygroscopic (look it up). Especially with modern ABS systems these two things need to be avoided at all costs.

The ONLY proper way to do an ABS system is to pinch off the brake hose with the appropriate tool, open the bleed screw and then press back the piston. Never, ever push fluid back up through the ABS unit unless you have an extra $1500 or so laying around because you were too lazy to do it the right way. Non ABS system reservoir levels can simply be reduced by using a clean (and dedicated) turkey baster. They've been doing an admirable job for years.

Last point. When you're doing a brake job and you push back the caliper pistons, there shouldn't be any excess brake fluid coming out of the reservoir to begin with. If the master cylinder is topped off when the brakes are new you should never add any more fluid. This is a quick visual check to see what the pad wear is. The only reason people top off their reservoirs is because someone once said to do it and now the wrong procedure is thought to be right. Just like all the other BS I try to stop in it's tracks.

posted by  vwhobo

The program used for this forum still sucks. Hit submit, get dumped out, then come back and find out it magically posted twice. What a load of crap. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

Hi, I'm not sure if you were refering to me but you may have mixed up my name with lugnuts as far as I know and according to any book, manual, or mechanic, the method I stated for bleeding brakes (which is not the gravity bleed method) is right. I also never said anything about pushing brake fluid the wrong way through an ABS system. Please clarify if you were refering to lugnuts or me. I would say that most of the things that I post in this forum are pretty accurate and if I'm not sure of something I say so so as not to give a false impression of intelegence in the place of ignorance. I Have also not noticed you corrrecting me on anhy threads that I have posted. Please clarify if you mean me or Lugnuts.

posted by  wizzyb82

Well I do my best to help people out around here. Why the name calling? (dildorida)

posted by  DodgeRida67

Yes, thank you for pointing out my mistake. I stand corrected and owe you an apology. I was in fact refering to Lugnuts as he is clearly unqualified to give any type of advice and not to you.

However, while your "help" my not be inaccurate it is extremely vague and really doesn't provide much help. Essentially most of your responses can be summed up by saying "I'm not really sure/don't know, ask someone who is/does.

1. Your best, while perhaps improving, still isn't very good. If you'd like to explore the issue further we can but... You wouldn't be very happy with the results. It's a shame that the only thing you got from that post is your feelings hurt instead of using it for a learning experience.

2. That has been your name since joining this forum, I can't see any reason to change it now.

posted by  vwhobo

Ain't ya'll just excited to have him back? :mrgreen: :laughing:

posted by  JaneiR36

Yes I am. :wink2: He's a good guy if you don't take what he says the wrong way. He just wants everyone to know the right way to do things and not have everyone sprewing the BS. He does it with an attitude. :laughing: I never realized that until he left.

posted by  DodgeRida67

All manuals for all cars describe the correct bleeding procedures.

Its very simple. However you definitely do it one wheel at a time.

I do it with one length of hose, one clear glass. pump the brakes until no air comes out and keep the master cylinder filled. or you start over.

You dont usually have to raise the car. I think of it as very simple. Special brake bleeding tools, in my opinion dont do it any better. They just waste less of the brake fluid, my method does use a lot of it.

posted by  stamar

Your Message