1993 olds cutlass supreme 3.4 DOHC

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1993 olds cutlass supreme 3.4 DOHC

i have a 1993 olds cutlass supreme with a 3.4 DOHC engine. i was wondering how much it would cost to replace the timing belt it in. i was driving along and it broke so i dont konw how much damage it did to the engine. i have heard from several sources with prices ranging from $175 - $900. how accurate are those prices?

posted by  tumbleweed80

Dependiong on the damage done to the engine they may not be high enough. The first thing that you should do is call a dealership and ask for the service or parts dept. Ask then if the engine is an interference (aka zero clearence engine) or non-interference engine. An interference engine is an engine that in the case that an intake or exhaust valve was open at the same time the piston is at the top of the cylinder the piston and valve would hit each other and do damge to eash other. Usualy the valves are more damaged than the pistons. If you were sriving an interference engine when the timing belt came loose you would have certainly done damegae to the valve train and it may need serious overhaul. Depending on the speed the engine was running at you may need a new engine. In the case of a non interefence engine you have nothing to worry about and all you need is a new timing belt and possibly and idler pully and a couple of other parts and in that case the range you just gave would be that far off. But call the dealership first to find out about what I told you. You don't want the mechanic to start working on the car and have to pay him for his work bfore you find out your engine is dead. Let me know what happens.

posted by  wizzyb82

just got off the fone with the local dealership. they said my engine should not be an interference one. so how much would it take to fix the timing belt then? how can i check to see if it did ne damage to the piston and valves? do i have to wait until i get the parts and have them open it up? is it okay to drive if the piston and valves are damaged?

posted by  tumbleweed80

If the engine is non-interference then there should be no valve or piston damage. All you need to do is change the belt. On most cars it is a fairly straight forward procedure. It should probably cost from the low end to the midlle of the range that you gave efore unless there are related parts that need repair or replacement too.

posted by  wizzyb82

got the timing belt on my car. it isnt good.
she idles really really bad. and she sort of vibrates. it doesnt sound like it should. we dont konw what the problem is. the mechanic said he'll look at it again but the timing iis a all right and everything. when we get it running great again does anybody want to buy it. im gonna sell it for $3500.

posted by  tumbleweed80

The problem is that your engine is an "interference engine", the explanation of which has already been given. The reason your engine is running poorly is bent valves on probably multiple cylinders which made contact when the belt broke and the cams were turning out of phase with the crank. It sounds to me like your "mechanic" needs to learn how to operate a repair manual before touching another car. Just because someone owns $300 worth of made in Taiwan tools and a shadetree does not make them a mechanic.

Attention wizzyb82. This is exactly what I refered to earlier. Is your crap information responsible for this situation? No, but now you have become involved and have some liability. Until you KNOW what you're talking about, SHUT UP.

posted by  vwhobo

:fu: :fu: look vwhomo get that exhaust pipe out of your rear and quit sniffing your paint fumes. I gave the man all the information that he needed. Not only that but I just did the research myself and confirmed with two seperate sources that the engine is a freewheeling engine. You know I'll bet that your just some cranky old man who is either too @#$% up or old to do work on his own cars and it pisses you off to see other people doing it. I've also check over some of your other threads and dude you need to get real. If you think that the stuff actually helps people fix their cars your more messed up than I thought. Sure you give them lots of info but never tell them what to do. :fu: :fu:

posted by  wizzyb82

Oh my, such big words from such a little man. Can you explain why the engine is running poorly now? You don't suppose bent valves on a few cylinders might cause the problem, do you? Maybe you can explain why GM, AllData, Mitchell1 and Gates all think it's an interference engine. Well can ya? Don't believe me, try this on for size;

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=GatesTBR.pdf&folder =brochure

BTW, anytime you have an inkling that you can match me on automotive knowledge, experience, diagnostics or ability to produce first class repairs/modifications/restorations let me know I'll be happy to play. I can use a good laugh from time to time. And your lack of automotive knowledge is only surpassed by your inability to impress me with :fu: smilies. I was right before, from now on you will be dubbed wussyb82. Have a nice day.

posted by  vwhobo

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Thanks for the wish and I really did have a nice day. Now I was wondering what is such a car and airplane (I read your other threads) wizard doing hanging around a website full of "don't know cars worth a damn knuckle heads" like me. Shouldn't he be out fixing and customizing and doing what he does best. Instead he is sitting at his computer cursing out everyperson in the world who thinks that they can turn a wrench but forgot to ask his permission first. I thought you know this really confirms my original assesment. This guy must be some washed up old loser who may know a lot about cars but has such bad arthritus that he can barely drive his car let alone work on it. He probably comes to this site just to try and make himself feal better by putting others down. Well the world must really suck for you right now. Good night old fart.

posted by  wizzyb82

I did 11.7 hours flat rate today in just over 7 hours at work. I also made more money today than you probably make in a month. Monday night is my night to relax, mow the lawn and f*ck with little etards like you. So far today I've accomplished all of my goals. I hear alot of bullsh*t from you but... There is no substance in anything you type. My suggestion to you junior is to come back when you grow some hair on your balls and possibly (accidentally?) develop a clue about what you're speaking. Sweet dreams wussyb82, your mommy says it's bedtime.

posted by  vwhobo

oooh must have touched a nerve there. Well as I said loser. you must have one pathetic life if you have a special night in the week set aside for as you put it f#@$ing with little etards like me. You said it was monday night that you have special time for this but tell me why then were you doing this yesterday and the day before. And for the record I probably do make more than you anyway and I probably don't even work as hard.

posted by  wizzyb82

Bottom line is twinkie, you have yet to supply any relevant information in this thread. You have also been unable to refute anything I've added because the facts back me up. Anyone as stupid as you is only qualified to be a part time door greeter at the local Wal-Mart, not much chance of catching up with The Donald in that career field.

How does it feel to be in the prime of your life and still a total waste? Sucks to be you I guess.

posted by  vwhobo

I called Gm and they told me that the engine is freewheeling. Maybe his jack*ss of a mechanic doesn't know how to do a timing belt. Or maybe there is something else wrong with the enigne. Hm manual labor all my life that doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun but making 6 figs designing the cars that you will try to understand, that sound a whole lot better. If you'd read my intro you'd know that I'm in mechanical engineering and to be making more than you already w/o a degree you know I have to be damn good and smart as hell. Maybe you were a paint chip tester as a young man but not me. Well I'll let you eat my dust, just try to keep up, will ya.

posted by  wizzyb82

I also called GM. They said they had never received a call from WUSSYB82. They also said it is in fact an interference engine. GM quote " we never use the term FREEWHEELING " dumbass :laughing:

posted by  lectroid

I just read your intro asscheese and this is what it says;

You are a student, not an engineer. You also said you came here to learn but so far all you do is tell us all of the things you THINK you know. It just doesn't wash.

You'll be happy to know that I have two degrees and own several businesses (each one puts more in my pocket than you'll make in a year, assuming you graduate before you retire from Wal-Mart). Unlike young uppity know-it-alls like you I work with my hands because I can, not because I have to. Maybe if you had the skill to repair cars instead of hiding behind your computer trying to pass yourself off as something you're not you would work with your hands also.

While we're at it (alleged) college boy, you should work on your spelling as well. I learned in 5th grade how to spell words like "belive" (believe) and "tought" (thought). If you want to impress someone with your vast intellect and high paying job, that you don't have yet, go back to your Barney the purple dinosaur forum and wow the kiddies there.

BTW, just for future reference. I employ two Mechanical Engineers at this time. One of them works for me as a tech making more than about 95% of Mechanical Engineers in the state. The other one sweeps floors, washes cars and cleans toilets for me. I know which one you could be. See ya sweetie.

posted by  vwhobo

Ouch, that's gotta hurt. :thumbs:

posted by  vwhobo

Hey im starting my 1st year at uni for automotive mechanical engineering :mrgreen: I think it should be fun, my automotive background is pretty good for my age but not the best. Ive already done 5 engine swaps, now that i think about it, its not 2 difficult, but when u tell that to somebody who doesnt know much about cars its like Noooooooooo lol impossible.

posted by  speedy266

ok my mechanic told me last nite that the timing is still off. he hooked up some scanning diagnostic machine and that was the problem, he also told me that my pistons or valves or ne of that sh*t is not ruined. we just gotta time it better. so stop ur stupid arguing. and i dont konw that much about engines and do not want to join u

posted by  tumbleweed80

Mechanics will tell you anything they feel like. I wouldn't trust them with my bike. The only way to know for sure if the valves are OK is to run a compression test or leak-down test. Your lucky if you didn't get any damage done to the valves. Too lucky.

posted by  DodgeRida67

And the highest caliber of "mechanic" I'm sure he is. If this guy knows so much, how did the car get out his door with the "timing still off"? Furthermore, if your "mechanic" is so trustworthy why did you come here for advice and to check the possible price to begin with? I know, DR67 knows and you do too. So why don't you just tell us straight up, huh?

posted by  vwhobo

Hey man im not involved in this, so dont say 2 engineering students, say to the engineering student. I know where i stand, thats why i read all posts and threads to gain the knowledge of the promblem, possible casuses and fineally the cause. If i have an idea as to what it could be i give my input, but i never give a direct answer. Ive had my own experience with this sorta problem, on my olds 3.8L timing chain goes, but the engine was the type that doesnt get bent valves so i was fine.

posted by  speedy266

Your Message