92 Buick Century problems

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  92 Buick Century problems

I have a 92 Buick Century 3.3L engine, I went to Sams Club and filled up the tank with gas, went in the store to look around and came back out and my car wouldnt start, it cranked wonderfully but wouldnt start. After about 25 mins (of off and on cranking) it starts right up, I drove it 1/4 of a mile and it dies in the road and wont start again, it finally starts again but by this time I decide to have it towed to a mechanic. It had no trouble codes, and the fuses look fine. The mechanic ran test on the fuel pump and couldnt find anything wrong, I think he even did a pressure test of some sort. It ran good while he had it. Said he couldnt fine a thing wrong with it. He did fix a couple vacum hoses though. But now I'm hessitant to drive it very far...it has 150,000 miles on it.........

next day....

part 2....I took the car out on the interstate and the "service engine light" come on (for the first time) while going 60mph, but goes out when i slow down. I checked the trouble codes and see a code 13. I looked it up and this is what it says...."Oxygen sensor voltage stays between 0.35 and 0.55 volts for 30 seconds with a throttle angle above 4% after engine had been running for at least 40 seconds.".

next day....

part 3....I just drove it to church about 2 miles, and on way home service light comes on again, I check the codes and have a number 44 which I looked up and this is what it says...."Oxygen sensor voltage was under 0.25 volts for 4 1/2 minutes of closed loop operation" so I now have code 13 and 44.....the saga continues

next day....

part 4.....I changed the O2 sensor this morning, erased the trouble codes, took it on the interstate about 15 miles, service engine light never did come on. Car suddenly quits on interstate going about 60mph with cruise set. I pull over and crank the engine about 5 mins. and nothing. (heavy traffic was too noisy to listen for the hum of the fuel pump) After 5 mins. of off and on cranking it starts right up. Im on my way down the road again, engine sounds smooth. I get home and check the trouble codes, so far no codes. The only thing i notice since all this started happening is that it seems to idle lower (when im stopped) then it used too, but perhaps thats my imagination.

anyone got any suggestions?

posted by  Jerry98

Sounds like a problem i had with a 93 Buick regal 3.8. Would die in the middle of the road. Most of the time it would fire back up. After several hundred dollars in useless repair bills, found that the water pump was bad. It was spraying a very fine mist of water on the crankshaft sensor. Your problem may be in the crankshaft sensor.

posted by  trux

Me and my mechanic finally tested the car while it was stalled this morning and its not getting spark. I just replaced the igniton module (used) and coils at the advice of my mechanic, cost 40 bucks. I let car idle for 15 mins. afterward and it stalls again just like before. I just cant win. Crankshaft postion sensor is our next option looks like but I would think it would show up as a trouble code on the computer. Any opinons?

posted by  Jerry98

Might wanna check the spark plug wires and spark plugs?

posted by  speedy266

New plug wires and plugs was installed last year, they seem fine.

posted by  Jerry98

I have very similiar problems with my 93 Buick Century, If you find anything let me know please, and I will do the same for you.

My Post -

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?p=48175#post48175

I feel every bit of the frustration.

posted by  Wagon Mom

Finally found what the problem was, it was a bad crankshaft position sensor, it was replaced with a brand new AC Delco sensor and it ended the problem. I appreciate all the responses I got. Just to let you know, this sensor never did show a trouble code in my cars computer, thats what had me baffled. I hope you all dont have the same headache I had with this ordeal. God Bless.

posted by  Jerry98

Here it is November 4th. and still no problems with my car. I just wanted to point out a few things. I believe what caused the crankshaft position sensor to fail was that I had a very small coolant leak in a by-pass hose which was slowly dripping on the sensor for a few months at least. The small by-pass hose which is around the top of the engine area is sort of hidden but manages to run down and drip in the vicinity of that sensor. So my advice to anyone having this problem is to be sure and keep an eye on that hose and replace it if it looks worn or starts leaking. You can buy one for less then 5 bucks. It can be a little tricky getting to it but it may save you big bucks in the long run.

posted by  Jerry98

Sounds electrical but hard to tell.

posted by  barretire

No. It's very easy to tell. DO SOME F*CKING READING. :banghead:

posted by  DodgeRida67

I had the identical problem as Jerry98. 1992 Buick Century 3.3 engine car that would start sometimes like there's no problem... then stall itself out unpredictably... then after trying off and on for about 5 minutes sometimes... 10 minutes other times, then it would start perfectly again... run for a while... you get the point. So... I left it at a parking lot, searched the internet... and was excited to find this thread with what seemed to be the same prob i had. The FIRST thing I did was get price quotes on the crankshaft sensor and the installation. I got one from the dealer just to be safe ($42 roughly)... but they charged too much for installation... so Midas said they would do it for $75 if I brought the part. Just for kicks, I asked Midas if they could check for trouble codes for me for $35 before they installed it, but I told them that if they didn't find any, to just go ahead and install the crankshaft sensor for me anyways. Not only did they NOT find any trouble codes... they were nice enough to NOT charge me the $35.... AND they only charged me $60 to install it!!! Car works perfectly ever since... took it on the freeway over 100 miles one way with no problems... the reason I'm writing this book is because I had blind faith in mr. Jerry98 and it paid off BIG TIME!!! Thanks again SIR!

posted by  kata

Kata, glad I could be of some help. I now have over 154,000 miles and its running fine. I'm hoping to make it to 200,000 but we will see. Best wishes

posted by  Jerry98

my car runs great until it warms up when i speed up and shifts gears it loses all power i got a new crankshaft sensor butt still didnt fix it
the first 2 or three gears it loses all power and shuts off and cant get it started when going up hills pretty soon the battery is dead

any help please thanks :banghead: :cussing:

posted by  onyxtech

Got a 92 buick century,changed plugs wire and feul filter,has problems starting doesn't have that much power and misses a little,sometimeime crank until battery goes dead and it mite start 15 mnts later it doesn't stall any more since I changed wires and plugs but if you shut it off it doesn't start that easily,do I need a crank shaft sencsor?

rick82   01 Jan 2013 23:56

Your Message