Nissan Altima 95 - need to replace my sway bar link

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Nissan Altima 95 - need to replace my sway bar link

I baught my first car a few months back. It is a used 95 Altima and I now have a suspension problem. The driver side rear "sway bar link" is broken. I checked with the Nissan dealer and they gave me a sway bar link which has a single ball joint(see figure) where as my altima seems to have two ball joints (shown in figure). I don't know if the sway bar was replaced before. Now I don't know how to fix the problem. Where do I find a link similar to mine. Is there any other model which uses a similar link?
http://www.public.asu.edu/~tleo1/photos/misc/000_0115.jpg

This is the first time I am working on this car myself. I got my motor mounts replaced some time back by a mechanic and that is when i decided that I should learn how to fix my car. I baught all the tools that I need and now it frustrates me to know that I can not find the part I need. Does anyone know how I can get a sway bar link which has two ball joints and will fit in my car. I want to fix it as soon as possible.

Thank you

posted by  leowiz

Hi, Good idea to start working on your car. I started the smae way two years ago and it was tough to get started and fustrating as hell but you get better at it. About the say bar link problem. I've only charged about four of those so I certainly cant say that I know about every car but it seems odd to me that the old one actually broke. As far as I know they usually wear out at the joints. I have two possibilities that you may wish to consider. One, that the part that was on there is not the original and that is what caused it to fail (which is not the most likely situatuion). Or two, since is looks like you have a set of rubber bushings on the new one, Nissan may have decided that the second ball joint (which I believe is the lower one) was a design flaw and they decided to use rubber bushings instead. This makes sence seeing as how it suffered a major mechanical failure. Either way I wouldn't worry, this is easily resolved. If you can go back to the parts dept. at the Nissan dealer and ask them if they gave you the right part. Since Nissan is the one that makes the car the part they gave you should be the right part or they will exchange it for you. If they say that it is the right part ask him about what I said in the second possibility I gave you. If he doesn't know ask to speak to a technician or if he can ask for you. Make sure they tell you how to install it properly. If you can't get to the dealer convieniently call on the phone most parts guys should know what you're talking about. Good luck. Tell me how it goes.

posted by  wizzyb82

Thanks for replying wizzyb82. Well the Nissan dealer says that is the only part that they have. I have tried most auto stores (Bap, napa , pep boys ...) and they either don't have a sway bar link or they have the one with the single ball joint. I have ordered an altima repair manual (but haven't recieved it yet) to make sure if the sway bar I have is the original one. But in either case, I will have to replace the sway bar assembly itself or go for an alternate link that may fit in my car. And obviously I would prefer the second option. I can't contact the old owner so I am not sure if the sway bar and/or the link was ever replaced. :banghead:

Now I am in a fix. I don't want to give it to a mechanic after all this effort and enthusiasm i put to buy the repair kit and get started myself.

posted by  leowiz

Hi again if it were up to me and the guys at Nissan said that it was the right part I would go with it. Now, I'm not in front of the car but I went to a database that I have access to and pulled up a picture of the link installed on the vehicle and it looks to me like it is attached to the sway bar through with bushings. I'm trying to see if I can get you that picture. The sway bar is possitiond between the two bushings that you have and then the end of the pice with the balljoint goes into a braket on the lower control arm.

posted by  wizzyb82

The more that I look at the picture the more I think that you have the right new part. The old one may have broken because it is too long. To connect the link take of the nut on the end that has the bushings. slip off one washer and one bushing. Insert the end of the link through the swaybar. Replace the bushing then the washer and then screw the nut on top. The nut on top should be bearing on a washer and the swaybar end should be sandwiched by rubber bushings. Then connec the end with the ball joint through the hole in the bracket on the lower control arm. Torque everything down to spec. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

posted by  wizzyb82

After some research I realized that they gave me the front link. The rear link should have two ball joints. I am going to talk to the dealer today and will let you know what they say.

I had another question. Why do people go for these high performance links (miata endlinks, racing beat links ) ... I do take sharp high speed turns and was wondering whether i should get one of those ???

posted by  leowiz

Your Message