Toyota celica 5A-FE 4cyl won't start (sometimes)

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Toyota celica 5A-FE 4cyl won't start (sometimes)

Hi! I have a 1991 Toyota Celica that I put a Japanese Domestic Market engine and transmission in when I bought it (originals blown) The car worked fine for the first 3-4 months after the install. Then the fun started. At no particular time (hot or cold) the engine would decide not to start. Turns over great, but no fire. Did this about once a month...now is a couple times a week. Anyway, the only thing that seems to fix it is time. Wait about 15 min's, and then it will start fine. When it does start, it will not randomly cut off...it only has problems getting started. It happened the other day while I was at Sub Station. Lucky for me, Sub Station is right beside Toyota. I walked over and grabbed a technician who walked over to check out my car. By the time I found him and we walked back, I hit the starter and it fired up just fine. He had no clue. Neither do I. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

posted by  brannon

Hey, I also have the same car and about to install the same kind of engine. I have the same problem. The problem lie in the ignition. Do you know if the car had a bad alarm installed. If so it could be the ignition kill switch, or the ignition switch is going bad. It could also be the starter. check all your wires that connect to it may one is not tight. Hopefully this might help!!!

posted by  stephen2

I have the same issue. Car runs fine then shut if off and it may not run again untill it sits a while. Interestingly enough the radio gets no power and niether does the lights. A while ago the I had the main fuse box replaced with a generic one so it may be the wiring is mixed up but that still doesnt help with why it happens. Also while the ingition , radio and lights get no power we can get power to everything else including the starter.
I have replaced fuses, coil, and distributer ( I thought it was the pickup), when this happens the coil gets no fire but does get some striaght juice.

If you ever find out what it really is and not what it may be I would sure like to know.

posted by  gmich

I have the same issue. Car runs fine then shut if off and it may not run again untill it sits a while. Interestingly enough the radio gets no power and niether does the lights. A while ago the I had the main fuse box replaced with a generic one so it may be the wiring is mixed up but that still doesnt help with why it happens. Also while the ingition , radio and lights get no power we can get power to everything else including the starter.
I have replaced fuses, coil, and distributer ( I thought it was the pickup), when this happens the coil gets no fire but does get some striaght juice.

If you ever find out what it really is and not what it may be I would sure like to know.

posted by  gmich

Well, I'm not sure if this would apply to you, but I thought I'd give my simple advice/story in hopes that it would work. My friend has a '00 Camaro that would only start sometimes, he started replacing everything he could think of to cause the problem until finally he took it to the chevy dealer. Turned out the problem was a short in a wire cluster. Maybe this isnt the problem in your case but it's definately worth checking out before you start spending loads of money on unneeded parts.

posted by  shallowoblivion

Your Message