Head Porting and Polishing on a jetta 8V 1.9L?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Head Porting and Polishing on a jetta 8V 1.9L?

I was thinking of porting out my 84 jetta and wanted to know the process of porting, is it something i could do mildy easily, or is the HP gain not worth it?

posted by  84_Jetta_GLi

A Jetta 1.9 liter, huh? Porting is not something you should try on your own. It's part science and part black magic. Most people who port their own heads end up with worse flow/velocity than they started out with. A light polish job however is well within the capability of most people. Just remember you're only polishing the casting not trying to move metal.

posted by  vwhobo

Sry, its a 1.8L not a 1.9, lol.
What would be the HP gain from doin the ports?
not all that much ide imagin

posted by  84_Jetta_GLi

You would be exactly correct. Honestly if you have a completely stock engine your first step should be a larger throttle body then a header. Then crank up the fuel flow on the fuel distributor. You'll be surprised at the difference.

posted by  vwhobo

I forgot, cut a big gaping hole in the bottom of your airbox.

posted by  vwhobo

It's the CIS (fuel injection) modle, im not 100% sure what a throttle body is :oops: , something to do with the carb? lol i feel dumb

posted by  84_Jetta_GLi

Don't, you're smart enough to ask, and from your few posts you seem more intelligent than alot of people here.

Yes the CIS is the type of Bosch fuel injection on your car. The fuel distributor is the big piece behind the headlight with the fuel lines running to it.

The throttle body (you don't have a carb, it's fuel injected) is.... Well the easiest way to explain it is look where the throttle cable attaches under the hood. That's the throttle body.

When I'm at home this weekend I'll send you a link to a great website that should help you out. See ya.

posted by  vwhobo

Thx now i know, i knew it didnt have a carb and the throttle body was 2 easy, i just over thought it,lol.

You seen to know a whole lot about cars, and goin by ur name u know VWs'......do u know alot about wiring? im asking cuz the guy who owned my Jetta before me did some stupid wiring jobs :evil: (spliceing hazard lights to power the cd player, and putting a 30A fuse in so it didnt blow and much much more) and it just shorted out and burnt up alotta the wiring so i need all the help i can get.

posted by  84_Jetta_GLi

Yea, I probably know my share anyway. Honestly wiring is difficult enough to sort out after somebody has butchered it when you can see it. I think almost impossible online. Your best bet would be to get Robert Bentley service manual for your car. They're the company who publishes manuals for the factory. The wiring diagrams are fantastic.

Not to forget, here's the website link I promised you.

http://www.badhabitrabbit.com/

posted by  vwhobo

Thx for the link, helped out sum.

but i got another crazy question 4 ya, VW made a turbo diesel jetta, would i be able to swap the turbo system form one over to my jetta? lol sounds crazy but i got thinkin about it...

posted by  84_Jetta_GLi

Could you do it? Well yeah, anything is possible but I think there would be easier and more effective ways to put a turbo on it.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message