need help with my distributor

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  need help with my distributor

i have a 74 chevy nova, 350 v8 4bbl everything is stock nothing special under the hood. currently running points with a stock distributor and coil. i recently bought a distributor & super coil off of ebay (link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=79 14827706) i noticed that this distributor does not have a vaccuum advance or the weights inside. the dist. in my car that has both of these. i was wondering if i can still use this dist. and also how to install it. if not, can i atleast use the super coil? if anyone can help, i'd apreciate it. if you need more info about my car i'll be more than happy to fill you in. thanks in advance, nate.

posted by  fAt2Rak005

Your kidding me right? Do you know what an electronic ignition and advance curve is? It's ok if you don't - what I'm saying is don't be buying things you don't know about! Read first!

You can use your coil. If you want to use your distributor your going to need the corosponding ignition module to go with that distributor.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Ummm... Look closely at the distributor, that looks suspiciously like a condenser hanging of the bottom. My guess is that's the old point style Accel mechanical advance distributor, not electronic. Also notice it says nowhere in the ad about it being an electronic ignition.

Yes you can use it in the car, MAYBE. At this point there are too many unknowns. Hell even you don't know what it is and you paid $61 plus shipping.

posted by  vwhobo

Damn your right I didn't see that condensor there. Yeah - the ad doesn't say anything about it being electronic. On the other hand - it doesn't really say much about it at all. :screwy:

posted by  DodgeRida67

i contacted the guy before i bought it, and he told me that i'd be able to use it in my car. maybe i did get ripped off, but i dont see the $60+ to be all that bad. i've heard of some real bad stories. a friend of a friend bought a ps2 for $300 when it first came out. and when it came in, he only got the box. besides i can always put it back up on ebay for sell. but anyways, can anyone give me some pointers on where to start to put this in my car? do you think its even worth it?

posted by  fAt2Rak005

I didn't mean you got ripped off by him, I ment you ripped yourself off.

Why do you even want this distributor put in? I thought it was just a replacement until you said what I just quoted. It's not performance your lookinh for is it?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Let's try this again. I'm sitting 2500 miles away from you in front of my computer and you want to know if it's even worth putting into your car. Stop and think for just a moment. The ONLY thing we know is that it's supposed to be an Accel distributor that's supposed to fit a SBC. That's not a whole lot to go on Ace. How about you tell me if it's conventional or electronic, what the advance curve is, what type of drive gear it has and just out of curiosity is it really a SBC distributor. If the guy you bought it from knows so freaking much, why don't you ask him if "it's worth it"?

How in the hell did people survive before the internet and forums? I know, we thought for ourselves, researched things we wanted to learn about and put forth effort. Apparently lost concepts in the 21st century.

posted by  vwhobo

hey calm down, not everyone has the same amount of knowledge of vehicles as you do. which is why im here, asking others for help on things that i dont know about. besides you're not the only person here in the forums, as much as i appreciate your input and believe me i do, if you dont like something about this or dont want to take the time to explain something or just dont like someone, then dont reply or even read the thread. no one is forcing you to do anything, theres no need to be hostile or get upset. look im not here to fight with anybody, nor do i see this as one. im here to learn about my car, ask questions, and get opinions from others that are more educated than i am. now if you (vwhobo) still want to know about my car, it is conventional. i dont know about the drive gear, but if you're familiar with sb chevys, its a stock 1974 LM1 with a stock cam. as for the advance curve, i dont know if this is it or not, but in my book it shows a chart that shows Centrifugal advance: 0º@1100rpm; 11º@2400; 18º@4200 and vacuum advance:0º@1000rpm; 20º@4200. i dont know if thats what you wanted, sorry if its not.

as for your question dodgerida67, i wanted to put in a new distributor because i want something more reliable. the distributor thats in it right now is most likely the original distributor that came with the car right out of the factory. previous owners did not do much to the car, as in upgrades or in some cases even maintenance. it was either this or converting to HEI. would upgrading the distributor turn out better performance?

sorry if this came off as rude, i dont intend on hurting anyone's feelings or offending anyone. keep in mind that this is a friendly forum and i intend on doing my best to help and try keeping it that way. -nate

posted by  fAt2Rak005

Since you have a convential ignition system now, upgrading to electronic ignition would help you out in the performance chapter and perhaps gas mileage & starting time. However, it seems as though you got the wrong distributor for that. :thumbs:

posted by  DodgeRida67

allright thanks man. i'll definately look into that.

posted by  fAt2Rak005

Your Message