2002 Dodge Ram 59k broke a rod. Dealing with Chrysler

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  2002 Dodge Ram 59k broke a rod. Dealing with Chrysler

Looking for some advice folks. Last week my 2002 Dodge p/u 4.7L 59,600 mls. Locked up. Towed it to the closest dealer at my expense. Broken rod,and piston. The GOOD news is they are going to put a new motor in it (yea) BUT The motor is on back-order as I am #19 in the country to need this motor. It will be 2-3 weeks before it gets to the dealers shop and 3-4 days to finish and it has already been almost 2 weeks.The problem is towing and rental/loaners are covered during the basic warranty period (3yrs 36k) With 59k, basic cover is gone. 7yr 70k covers power and drivetrain, so they wont give me a loaner or a rental. I have already rented a car but feel they should help me out here.Any advice on who I should talk to or how to go about this? Dont get me wrong, I am VERY thankful for the decision to put a new motor in but, a month of rental car and truck payment doesnt look to good........THANKS

posted by  bilbo

You said loan cars are only given out under the 3 year/36K warrenty, correct? You've now hit 59K, correct? Think hard about what that means.

Your #19 on back order? Something sounds fishy about that. Why don't you call another dealer far off from that one and just for curiousity's sake, ask them when they could get you a new motor. I don't know, maybe it's nothing but it seems a little weird to me that you would have to be put on a waiting list for that motor.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I'm sure that your owner's manual states that incidental costs are not covered by any warranty - i.e. replacement transportation, accomodations, incidental fees. As far as the engine being on backorder (#19) the company may be in the midst of a "build out" whereby all of the available engines have been allocated to new vehicle builds.

posted by  ridesbuttons

Your Message