Battery? Alternator? Switch?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Battery? Alternator? Switch?

Hi! I'm new here. I have a 1991 Geo Prizm that has a mind of its own! It is a manual shift. When I get out of my car I set the hand brake. After doing so, the brake light and voltage light come on and remain on. A friend has checked the alternator and it is getting some charge. He disconnected the battery and the car continue to run. I have tried not setting the hand brake and the brake and voltage lights didn't come on until late in the day. I live close to work and only make short trips around a very small town. The two lights always come on at the same time. I can start and stop three or four times before my battery goes down. I charge the battery for just a little while and it's ready to go again, as long as I don't set the hand brake. Habit has a way of prevailing, and I've accidentally set the brake, immediately releasing it, but it still stays on! Totally scared to run the a/c in fear of breaking down in the road. It's been about 90 degrees outside. I just pray that I don't have to use the windshield wipers. I don't ever have to drive it at night. A woman looks kind of funny hauling a battery charger around in the back seat of her car. The car had some wiring problems in the past - I bought the car used - under the dash. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

posted by  nowrich

[QUOTE=nowrich]Hi! I'm new here. I have a 1991 Geo Prizm that has a mind of its own! It is a manual shift. When I get out of my car I set the hand brake. After doing so, the brake light and voltage light come on and remain on. A friend has checked the alternator and it is getting some charge. He disconnected the battery and the car continue to run. I have tried not setting the hand brake and the brake and voltage lights didn't come on until late in the day. I live close to work and only make short trips around a very small town. The two lights always come on at the same time. I can start and stop three or four times before my battery goes down. I charge the battery for just a little while and it's ready to go again, as long as I don't set the hand brake. Habit has a way of prevailing, and I've accidentally set the brake, immediately releasing it, but it still stays on! Totally scared to run the a/c in fear of breaking down in the road. It's been about 90 degrees outside. I just pray that I don't have to use the windshield wipers. I don't ever have to drive it at night. A woman looks kind of funny hauling a battery charger around in the back seat of her car. The car had some wiring problems in the
HI , well to start with take your car to a autozone or a shop and get the alt. checked ,and then have wireing checked , but think you need a alt first. have fun Slim :screwy:

posted by  Slimone

Yo, Slim. Stick to flipping burgers if that's the best you can do. Thank you for stating the obvious. :banghead:

P.S. It works better if you just let the computer take care of the quote, but then you already knew that, right?

posted by  vwhobo

I would just like to point out that disconnecting your battery is not a smart way to see if your alternator is working or not.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Your Message