Electrical short/wiring diagram

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Electrical short/wiring diagram

My 1996 Nissan Altima has a short. The battery drains overnight. While driving the charging lamp and the brake lamp are lit. I performed a voltage check across the fuses and found that the "Electronic Parts" circuit reads 12 volts. I also found the "Room Lamp" circuit reads .34 volts. I assume one of these circuits is shorted. Where can I get a copy of the complete wiring diagram, in color, so I can identify what the "Electronic Parts" circuit is and also determine what is located on the "Room Lamp" circuit.

Regards,

robertgs

posted by  robertgs

Don't know about the diagram, but you might not have a short. Have your battery tested before assuming you have a short. Then go to the alternator from there. A short is the last thing you want to hope you have. Infact, if you can, go to a place that will test the entire charging system. Advance auto parts does it for free. Autozone too I believe. :thumbs:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Newsflash! If you have a short circuit you will blow a fuse. After all that's what they're there for, circuit protection. Stop trying to make this harder than it has to be and listen to some of DR67's advice. Have your charging system evaluated. From your description you're probably looking at an alternator. I bet your car is close to 150k miles as that seems to be about the average lifespan of the alternator on your Altima.

Read your sixth sentence and think about the old saying concerning assuming.

EDIT: Let me correct a statement I made previously. The lifespan of the voltage regulator in your car is normally 150K miles. Since the VR is internal and not normally replaced separately that's why I said alternator.

posted by  vwhobo

Thakyou for the replys. I put in a rebuilt alternator 4 weeks ago. Taking your advice, I placed the voltmeter between the negative batery cable and the battery post. I get a reading of approximately 12.35 volts. When I disconnect the alternator I still get the same reading. The interior fuse panel is broken into three seperate areas: Battery, ignition and, accessories. When I take the voltage readings I get those readings that I mentioned previously. At the fuse labled "Electronic Parts" (Battery Section), I get more than a 12 volt reading.
When driving, the brake warning lamp and the battery warning lamp are lit. If I come to an abrupt stop, the lights go out together. As I accelerate they both come on together. The Haynes Repair manual does not provide a complete wiring diagram for me to see the circuit for the parking brake lamp. I was hoping to try to isolate this wire. Where do I go from here.
Thankyou for the assistance.

Regards,

robertgs

posted by  robertgs

Your Message