Tree sap ate up my paint...

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Tree sap ate up my paint...

I've been parking my car under a tree and I went on vacation so it didn't get washed for two weeks. Then when I came back and washed it there were thousands of little spots without paint all over the hood of the car and the area around the grill. Of course it looks horrible and I was wondering what you would recommend I do? Thanks.

posted by  eggnogboy99

Sorry to hear that man, soak the area in water and soap, then try scrubbing it off with a sponge. That's what I did when I got sap all over my car. "damn trees" And it all came off, then you should wax it after washing the car.

posted by  MX-3

Yea I wish that would work but the paint is actually gone. The sap ate up the paint when it was sitting there. I hate that tree so much now.

posted by  eggnogboy99

-- Sorry about the double post. My internet got screwed up and I didn't think it had posted. --

posted by  eggnogboy99

What type of tree?

posted by  DodgeRida67

I'm not really good with the types of trees but I know that it's not a pine tree. Does it really make a difference about how I would go about repairing the paint?

posted by  eggnogboy99

I wanted to know what type of tree it was so I could keep my vehicles out from under them.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Oh haha. Well I would recommend not parking your car under any tree if possible. And if you do then you should probably wash it fairly often so the sap doesn't have time to eat up your paint.

posted by  eggnogboy99

Are you sure it ate through your paint? I find that hard to believe, I thought only chemicals can do that, but a tree sap? What im thinkin is, its probably a deep mark of the heated tree sap that was on your car for 2 weeks.. Maybe if you just wash it 50 times it will come out… or try those orange citrus shit.. That works on my car for minor scratches...

posted by  Ki2AY

Well I've done some searching on the internet and it says that sap can eat through car paint. There is a slight chance however that when I got it from the dealer they had something on the car to hide the chips and I merely washed it off. It's really hard to tell at this point though.

posted by  eggnogboy99

hmmm, ok i c... well good luck!

posted by  Ki2AY

Your Message