How to repair (not change) a flat tire

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  How to repair (not change) a flat tire

I'll be changing a flat tire I got in a few minutes. How do I repair the flat tire once it's off the vehicle?

posted by  JaneiR36

You buy a kit, and follow thre insturctions. They don't cost much. It's just rubber plugs, glue, and a tool. :thumbs:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Cool, I haven't heard of this kit before.

But there's one more thing. I have a tire protection plan from where I bought this tire 6 months ago :banghead: However, they have stated on the warranty information that they won't repair damage caused by accidents or customer abuse, which my STOOOOOPID brother did in fact drive into a curb while making a turn (how fast he was making this turn, I don't know). I was just going to tell them I had a flat while driving normally without any accident whatsoever, but then I took a look at the tire and the cut is actually on the side! Very close to the rim, too, so it'll be pretty hard to explain how I busted the tire just driving straight on a normal road.

Has anyone had any experience claiming this kind of warranty, and if so, do you think they will refuse to repair the tire? I suppose I could just go to them and try my luck, but let me know if you know.

posted by  JaneiR36

Oops. Looks like the replacement plan won't work, either. I forgot that the tires were rotated when I last got my wheels balanced. I did not buy that tire from them (SO close! They were going to give me a brand new tire because the cutS on the tire could not be fixed!) So it's back to the kit (not Fix-A-flat in a can, right?) Will I be able to use it to fix this tire even when the service people said it's not fixable? There are actually bumps along the circumfrence on the side of the tire. These bumps did not smooth out when the guy reinflated the tire.

posted by  JaneiR36

Assumptions have gotten me into trouble again. I assumed you got a hole in your tire from a nail, screw or some such object and just punched a small sized hole in the tire and you could plug it up with the kit. But now I've learned from you that the tire has cuts. Slices. Not fixable with any kit. Looks like you're in for a new tire.

posted by  DodgeRida67

see next post

posted by  theman352001

It is also not advisable to try to repair a hole on the sidewall of a tire. Sorry Janei, it's time for a new tire. Have your bro pay for his mistake.

posted by  theman352001

And so 25 bucks it was. Turns out I still had about 10K miles or a little under a year (whichever comes first) of warranty left on the tire that went out. They gave me a $40 credit towards a new tire (based on my having 6/32" of thread left out of an original 10/32"). It would have been 10 bucks less as well if I had opted out of the road hazard warranty program, but what would have been the point of that?!? It already paid for itself with this new tire :hi: I'm still glad I checked in with you guys, though, at least I would have known if I was getting ripped off. (but still, Walmart would have changed out their tire for free, though :mad2: )

They also helped me retorque and balance my tires since I did that brake job a while ago. I shouldn't have to tamper with that area for a while now :mrgreen:

posted by  JaneiR36

Your Message