Uhm.. HELP!

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Uhm.. HELP!

Ok, car with an automatic transmission. Say you're pulling in to a parking lot, and when you go to park, you shift it a little early, (put it in to park before it stops moving) 2-3 mph tops. What does this do to a car? Is it anything major?

posted by  Diomedes

Front wheel drive or rear wheel drive? That might help anyone in answering your question.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Why would that make any difference? Any damage caused by doing this will be the same in either a transmission (RWD) or transaxle (FWD). Can you tell us what component will break first?

HINT; It's inside the trans.

posted by  vwhobo

FWD 93 Geo prizm. Uhm... I drove it afterward, and it seemed fine. I checked all the gears, drove it up to about 70 mph. Turned it off on, checked oil and tran fluid.. everything seemed fine. I just want to know what is possible that can happen?

posted by  Diomedes

Wonderful. I'm gonna let DR67 handle this one since he took the first bite. Come on, you can do it!

posted by  vwhobo

I asked because if it was RWD then you can harm the motor mounts as you know. That's what I was going to tell him if he said RWD.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Not likely. The component inside the transmission (that you're supposed to be naming) is far more fragile than the engine supports and will in fact always break first. Furthermore, if the motor mounts on a RWD car will break why don't you think the mounts on a FWD car will break? What about if it's AWD? These questions and more will await you as long as you keep tap dancing. Lucky you!

posted by  vwhobo

Well that's all I had to say about it. Take it away. :thumbs:

posted by  DodgeRida67

In other words you didn't have a clue when you typed the first post, you just wanted to see your name in the thread. You still don't have a clue, aren't willing to admit it and you're not going to ask for help. Sad, very sad.

While you have made some improvement you still just can't help yourself, can you? Maybe I need to add the "ildo ida" back to your name. Whaddaya think?

posted by  vwhobo

I guess so..

posted by  DodgeRida67

Did this scare the crap out of you? Good, then let it be an inexpensive lesson not to ever put a car in park while moving except in the case of an emergency.

I could attempt to explain what damage you could do in this situation but then I'd have to explain the inner workings of an automatic transmission. Not gonna happen. Suffice it to say that based on everything you've checked you'll be okay. One question. Have you tried it to see if it holds in park? As long as you have that, don't sweat it.

posted by  vwhobo

Yes I did, that was the first thing I checked. Thanks vw. And yes it scared the HELL out of me. I freaked out. I'm gonna like hold the brake for 10 seconds before shifting for a month... :doh:

posted by  Diomedes

Your Message