96 Dodge Neon Transmission/Starting Problems...

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  96 Dodge Neon Transmission/Starting Problems...

I recently bought this 96 Plymoth Neon from a friend of mine as a "project car" so to speak. When I bought it (for $150) the tranny was bad because, get this, the owner before my friend was putting engine oil in the transmission. So the metal shavings were building up and eventually wore out the 2nd, 3rd, and reverse gears. I bought another 95 Neon tranny and had a friend of mine (an Automive Service Technician) help me put in the new tranny. The install was a bitch, being that its a FWD, but we got the new tranny in. The transmission works perfectly but for some odd reason the car only starts in Nuetral.

My friend stated that it has something to do with a "nuetral start switch" or something along those lines. What is a "nuetral switch" and how can I fix the problem to get it to start normally from park? I'm sure he knows how to fix it but I'd like to know, for my own reason, how to solve the problem or if anything needs to be replaced or changed.... Any info would be greatly appreciated...

posted by  DSMer

I don't know the exacts on a Neon, but I can tell you generally a neutral safety switch gives ground to a starter relay in park and in neutral. Sometimes they can be expensive as I saw in another thread. You may want to check shift linkage before you decide its the switch. :2cents:

posted by  DodgeRida67

I'll check the shift linkage again. Since you say something about a ground, I think I might know what you're talking about.

posted by  DSMer

Your Message