Coolant leak

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Coolant leak

I have a '94 Camaro w/ a 3.4L V6. I have a coolant leak and I took it to my mechanic and he said that it is leaking from the Timing Chain Housing... This doesn't seem right to me. I know the water pump it pretty close to the housing and I was wondering if the water pump could be causing it or is there something else in the housing that could be leaking?

posted by  LwnGy83

Sorry it took so long to respond. I started to yesterday, got called away, then forgot. Old age sucks.

Yes his diagnosis is entirely possible and likely correct. On this engine the water pump attaches to the timing cover, about six bolts into the cover and four bolts through the cover into the block. The coolant passages also travel through the timing cover into the front of the block. Obviously there is a gasket between the water pump and timing cover, then the timing cover and block.

Based on the age of your car I'll assume you have 100k or more miles on it. At that age this is a common problem. Also if the water pump has ever been replaced sometimes removing the through bolts will damage the gasket but it won't leak for a while till it breaks through completely.

Now the bad news. Expect about a $500 dollar hit to have it fixed. On top of that if I'm anywhere close to the guess on my mileage you should go ahead and replace the timing chain and gears as preventative maintenance. Sorry for the bad news. Good luck.

posted by  vwhobo

I just wanted to tell you how happy it makes me to be able to help you out. No thank you is needed.

posted by  vwhobo

lol There's too many people who use this forum and then don't acknowledge replies to their questions.

posted by  snoopewite

Your Message