HELP - Intermitant Stalling

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  HELP - Intermitant Stalling

I have a 1990 Chev. Lumina Euro 3.1L with an intermitent fuel problem. The biggest part of the problem is that it is intermittent. 1. Do sensors or modules go bad over time or all at once.

Every now and then when I start the car it is hard to start and when it does start as soon as I give it gas it dies. Occasionally, it will happen when I'm on the freeway and driving 60MPH and then it sputters and dies, sometimes it catches and then goes fine, and others I have to get off the road and shut the motor off and wait it out. Eventually, when it starts it will run properly and not die, then I can drive 100 miles after that problem free. Sometimes it is an immediate problem again and sometimes not.

I cleaned the injectors, replaced the fuel filter, replaced the fuel pump and add a computer chip that Chevrolet suggested to my mechanic. It can happen when the engine is warm or when it it's cold from sitting all night. HELP! What else can I look at.

posted by  olddude

I had a 91 Pontiac Sunbird with a 3.1 V6 with a similar sounding problem. Turned out to be a fuel pressure regulator. If you get a fuel pressure testor, you can check that after you shut the car off it holds fuel pressure, if not it's probably the pressure regulator. good luck :thumbs:

posted by  ultm8opie

I currently have that same car with similar sounding issues...but mine has a distinct smell of gas around the intake after the car has been shut off. I have not experienced it killing on the highway however. I hope the solution for the poster's question leads me in the same direction. good luck!

posted by  dennikro

1991 Sunbird with a 3.1 V-6? The Standard Sunbird came with a I4. GT, LE, SE came with a 3.1 V-6 which did not have a CPS to my knowledge. Neither does the I4 in the standard Sunbird. Just to clarify those things. :thumbs:

posted by  DodgeRida67

You're going to have to do better than look at the PartsAmerica or Autozone websites for parts and take a wild guess hoping you're right. You are correct in saying neither engine in the Sunbird has a "CPS". Then again depending on how you look at it, NO automotive engines have a "CPS". Or maybe the engine specified in this thread does have a "CPS", you said yourself it has a crankshaft position sensor. Are you confused yet? I already know the answer to that question because you were confused in your last post. Unfortunately you passed on that confusion, and therefore misinformation, to others.

If you want to pass yourself off as being knowledgable you'll have to start using proper terminology. "CPS" is not an acrynom for either crankshaft or camshaft position sensor. Just apply a bit of logic, if it was how would you know the difference. What you want to discuss, but are doing an inept job of, is the CMP (camshaft position sensor) and the CKP (crankshaft position sensor). See how much easier that would be.

Finally, while the engine in this topic does in fact have a seperate CKP, something else performs the electronic duties of the CMP. Can you tell us what it is?

posted by  vwhobo

:oops: Sorry for the spewing of BS.

That would be the distributor.

posted by  DodgeRida67

1. Don't worry, be happy. http://www.superlaugh.com/1/behappy.swf

2. On a DIS ignition? Uh, nope.

posted by  vwhobo

DIS? I must be thinking of the 91 I4 which didnt have the DIS. The 91 3.1 had a DIS? Ah, yeah, I don't know enough about this to be typing. :banghead:

posted by  DodgeRida67

We have tried for a proper diagnosis. They have put the machines on it several times and it all checks out fine. Problem is intermittant and the Service Engine light doesn't' come on when it malfunctions.

posted by  olddude

Your Message