30,000 mile service: is all of this REALLY necessary?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  30,000 mile service: is all of this REALLY necessary?

I have a 2004 Honda Accord Sedan EX that just passed the 30,000 mile mark (yes, that's a lot of miles but I commute 120 miles a day roundtrip for work). I called my local dealer and their 30,000 mile service is $350 and consists of this:

- oil change and filter
- replace in cabin micro filter
- replace air filter
- replace tranny fluid
- replace brake fluids
- tune engine
- inspect dist cap and rotor
- inspect & adjust idle
- inspect & adjust drive belts
- adjust valve clearances
- rotate tires
- inspect breaks, suspension, tire wear, exhaust system, coolant, hoses, fluid levels, lights
- hazardous waste disoposal

Seems like $350 is a little steep. I'm no car guy so my question is which one of these items is necessary for 30,000 miles? Is the price reasonable for all of these services? Thanks for any help!

posted by  showtime

It's only worth it if preserving the value and performance of your car is important to you. After all it's only about a $25k investment that you use daily to get back and forth to work. Alternately you can ignore the recommended service and then complain about how expensive it is when parts start to wear out and/or break prematurely, which they will if you don't keep it properly serviced.

I can tell you this for a fact as a person who makes his living working on cars. You'll pay me up front to maintain your car but you'll pay me alot more to repair neglected maintenance. The choice is yours, but there's only one logical choice.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message