426 hemi question

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  426 hemi question

Hello. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but it is the only one I saw that looked like it would work. Anyways, I am working on a design for a '58 modified chevy pickup. I have an eldorado ('69 I think) front end (front wheel drive). I am looking to make this a muscle car from hell. I was wondering if anybody knows the best way to attach a monster of an engine to the front wheel drive system. I was thinking a 426 hemi, but not sure if the front wheel drive system can handle the torque. I was also wondering if anybody has any ideas on how to adapt a mopar engine to a cadilac transmission.

posted by  lpb81

Those Eldo's had up to 500CI engines in them and they were pretty torqy. I do not have the exact numbers but I am sure you can Google them up.

As far as hooking up the Hemi to the Caddy trans, you would have to search for adapter plates. I know of some companies that offer adapter kits for certain engine/trans combos but I am not aware of one for your particular combo.

Sounds like an interesting project though. Keep us posted on the progress.

posted by  theman352001

Hi , put a hemi in a vett many years ago but used a dodge tranny,anyway check out allpar.com they have all the imfo you want about hemi's, would almost bet you will have to make a adp. your self ,wow should be a wild project . Good luck Slim

posted by  Slimone

hey, thanks for the input guys. It is goin'g to be a big headache, I already know that. The hemi is going in the bed (hence the need for a front wheel drive system, although it will be in the rear end). I was a little worried I would have to go back to the drawing board on it. I took some measurements and found I have to widen my frame in the rear almost a foot. That is gonna be fun too. I will keep you posted on the progress.

posted by  lpb81

Why not keep it GM...I saw an article on a 10-liter :screwy: big block chevy with Arias aluminum cylinder heads...the great thing is they are a true hemi-design. I'm almost positive these heads will work on smaller displacement big block chevys. Chances are it'll cost you as much, if not a little more, than a 426 Hemi...but hey...not many people have a hemi chambered chevy motor.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Hi , ran across a place that might help you called Advance Adaptors ,check it out on line Slim

posted by  Slimone

Where would I aquire chevy heads like that slick? I've never even heard of a gm hemi before. Does it have the same power rating as a mopar hemi?

posted by  lpb81

Not many people have, they were only used in drag racing "back in the day" and are now making a comeback. Try a doing a search on Arias Cylinder Heads.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

I did a search for arias cylinder heads, and all I could get was arias pistons. There is no mention on their site about heads though.

posted by  lpb81

Did a little more research, the hemi headed 10L engine I referred to does require it's own block/crank/pistons, the whole nine yards...Arias pistons is the same company that made the 10L. If you REALLY have deep pockets, send them an e-mail and ask about it.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

So those heads wouldn't bolt on to a chev 454? I was hoping so because I have a 454 already.

posted by  lpb81

I"d find a 455 olds motor they're very torquey and olds used the same transaxle in the Toronado. :thumbs:

posted by  scoobasteve

Your Message