Dead Battery

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Dead Battery

Hi, My Wife and I own a 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 V-4 4x4. Have recently changed the alternator and have put in a brand new battery. The reason for this happening is because the battery kept discharging over night. I would fully charge it the night before and it would be dead by the morning. We have checked everything inside the vehicle to make sure no interior lights remain on and have found none. I am stumped as where to look next. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Travis And Becky

posted by  91jeepcherokee

meant to say 4.0 v-6

You should verify this by a current measurement. Disconnect one battery terminal and put an amp meter between the battery and disconnected terminal. You should read a current if something is discharging your battery. If so, then pull out and replace one fuse at a time to find the problem. The problem may be a wire short or bad switch that is turning on a circuit that should be off.

posted by  SheldonS

I have disconnected the negative terminal and put a light tester from the negative terminal to the neagtive wire, which resulted in the light coming on. I next pulled each fuse out one by one and the light never went out. should the light have gone out at any time or did i not do it correctly. I was told that had there been a bad circuit the light would have gone out when i pulled out the bad fuse. thanks again,
Travis and Becky

Ok i diconnected the negative cable and hooked the light tester from the cable to the terminal. I then removed every fuse one by one and the light never went out. Just to make sure i did everything right this is everything i did. I diconnected the negative cable from the battery. Then moved it completely away from the battery to ensure it did not touch at all. I then Took the pointy part of the light tester and hooked it to the cable. I then used to alligator clip and hooked that to the negative terminal on the battery. this caused the light to come on. I then went on the inside of the vehicle under the driver side dash and began removing fuses one by one. All fuses were removed and the light never went out. Were should i begin to look next? please help!
Thanks in advance
Travis and Becky

I just recently put a brand new alternator in and it still drains the battery. haha starting to be a pain in my butt. umm so should i still re-do the test even though i have a new alternator and brand new battery on it. thanks again,
Travis and Becky

hey, i unhooked all the wires coming from the starter and the test light still remains on. i once again pulled all fuses out one by one and the test light remains on. by pulling out the fuses that eliminates pretty much everything inside the vehicle, which makes me think that it is somthing under the hood. Do you know if there is a fuse box located under the hood. I cannot find one. I also pulled all relays to see if maybe it was a bad relay or somthing. Where do u think i should check next. I really appreciate all the help you have given me and it has taught me alot. What am i missing. Thanks for the help.
Travis and Becky

I checked all the connections and they all look good. Let me ask a stupid question. Would the test light remain on until i unhooked the constant power wire from the radio and the computer or should the constant power from the radio and the computer be terminated once the fuse is removed. really not to sure about that so i figured i would ask. i also triple checked all the interior lights and they are all off so it is not coming from there. Thanks in advance
Travis and Becky

Your Message