Gauges problems

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Gauges problems

Hi;

I have a 1985 Camaro Z28, I recently had to replace my key switch assembly, some had tried to steal the car. They broke the assembly out. No other damage. I replaced the key assembly and the signal lights, key, 4 ways all work. My problem is this.

When I turn pull out the light switch, and rotate the knob, the RPM gauge and other gauges are erratic. The RPM gauge goes all the way up. If I turn the Knob so there is no light on the dash everything is normal. Also if I turn the signal light right, the RPM gauge jumps to the beat of the signal light.

Has anyone experienced this problem also? If so what is the problem ?

nash

posted by  nash2

sounds like whoever reinstalled your ignition assembly may have made a couple problems for ya, I'd bring it back and tell them the issue if it has not been too long and see if they will fix it for free. If not go with a diagram like tbaxleyjr suggested. Besides he knows a lot more about cars than me, but I mean a free job is a free job, and I also don't know how 'car savvy' you are either, and getting into the electronics could be dangerous and we don't want you royally screwing anything up, so if you do go in there yourself, don't be gung-ho, do your homework, and be cautious.

posted by  Flame Roller

I have narrowed it down to the taillamp fuse. It also supplies power to the head light switch. I completely checked the tailights, checkes all the wiring. I found nothing wrong. I suspected the light switch was the problem initially. I am going to change the light switch. If it is not that, all is left is the dash itself. I will keep you posted.

nash

posted by  nash2

Ok:

I said I would keep you informed with my problem. It turns out it was the back of the dash. There was a short in the overlay that supplies power to the dash lights. The technical term I do not know. So I completely replaced all the gauges except the fuel and speedometer. That side of the panel was OK. Everything now works.

nash

posted by  nash2

Your Message