Multiple Misfire Code on 98 Passat 1.8T

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Multiple Misfire Code on 98 Passat 1.8T

My problem is on a 98 Passat Wagon 1.8T Auto Tiptronic Trans w/ 104,000 miles. This started about 3 weeks ago. My cruise control suddenly quiit working one day while driving down the road. When I stopped the car it was idling rough, like the timing was missing badly. The engine was idling around 750-800 RPM. The next day I was taking it to the dealer to get checked out. I noticed when I pressed the gas to take off from a dead stop nothing happened. The car just acted as if it was just idling. No acceleration at all. I had to very lightly press the gas pedal to get it to start accelerating. Then everything was fine. It didn't do this every time when starting from a dead stop.
So, the dealer replaced the timing belt and power output control. Guess what? This didn't fix anything. They also have no explanation for the Cruise Control. Of course, I promptly requested my money back since they didn't fix the car. I took my refund and bought a scan tool that runs the VAG-PRO software. The computer reports MULTIPLE MISFIRE on all four cylinders. That's the only code in there. The car hasn't gotten any worse than initially, but I do want to fix the problem. I just don't have any faith in these Alabama mechanics. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I'm not an auto mechanic, but I know how to follow directions.

posted by  dblstoli

in my book I'd say start with the plugs and wires. That is a fix you should probably be able to handle yourself, and not too expensive unless you go way overboard with the products you buy. Anyways I recommend doing that, or at the very least do a spark check. (Cheap mans way of checking for a spark is to one by one remove a the wire by the boot from the plug, and see if the car makes a different noise, as it should!. If the car continues making the same exact engine noise, odds are that spark may not be firing. Careful with doing this type of check as you could very easily get a slight bite in the hand :doh: .) If it isn't that I cannot help you as I am not all too familiar with your vehicle. Hope it helps a little though.

posted by  Flame Roller

This is another PERFECT example of a few of the problems that continue to rear their ugly heads in real life and especially on forums;

1. Instead of doing a proper diagnosis using established methods and procedures to isolate the problem or defective part we...

2. Decide it's best to just go ahead and throw parts at the car hoping that maybe, just maybe, we'll fix whatever may be wrong. Of course this will work eventually once we get lucky and accidentally replace the defective part unless we...

3. Have crap for information like the quoted response. Ya see, tbax is correct, this car has COP (coil on plug) ignition so you'd play hell trying to replace the plug wires.

Mis-information, dis-information or just plain bullsh*t, it's all the same in my book. A waste of time and money plus it just helps to confuse someone with a problem even further. Please, you and everyone else who is guilty of this crime, CEASE AND DESIST.

posted by  vwhobo

I had a tune up done about 3 months ago.Plugs, Injectors Cleaned, Air/Fuel Filters, Serpentine Belt, P/S Belt, A/C belt. Someone has suggested to me that it could be a problem with the Throttle Control Module. I will get you the codes this weekend. I'm working out of town this week. Thanks for the advice so far.

posted by  dblstoli

Your Message