Engine problems

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Engine problems

I'm new to the forum, but I could use some help from the expertise I see on the list. I rebuilt a 1750 cc engine for my Sunbeam Alpine. I've checked out everything I can imagine. Good SPark, compression set distributor timing, valve clearances several times. Had carbs (2 strombergs) rebuilt, added elec fuel pump. I get the car started with the exhaust disconnected, but any back pressure stops the engine, and it will not run. Does this per chance indicate the mechanical timing is incorrect???? Any advice?? :ohcrap:

posted by  Comanderbob

Not really, but you should check it.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I consulted with some "Race car Engine experts" and when I told them the compression was consistent, but high (160) in all 4 cyl It indicates the mechanical tieing is off. :banghead: so I am in the process of tearing the front off the engine. :ohcrap:

posted by  Comanderbob

Really they said that? hmm.... :ohcrap: I don't know about that.

posted by  DodgeRida67

OK,I have a 1989 Nissan 240sx. It's been great to me , but now it's doing this hesitation thing that's really bothering me and it idles high on accations. I replced the fuel injectors thinking that owuld help but it came back AGAIN. I donno if my fuel lines are clauged or if air/water is getting in the fuel!! PLease tell me if you know what I can do To prevent this problem!!THANKS!!!

posted by  ybballa2k

STOP. Did your "experts" explain to you how attaching the exhaust will cause the car not to run if the cam timing is off? Didn't think so. Are you sure there are no obstructions in the exhaust system? When you say the engine runs without the exhaust, how well does it run? How did we decide the compression is too high, what is the static compression ratio and what are the cam specs? Your posts raise more questions than answers and you're not giving out very much useful info. If you want help you need to be helpful.

posted by  vwhobo

Just out of curiosity, WTF does this have to do with this guy's Alpine?

posted by  vwhobo

Well first of all it wasn't so. I pulled the timing gear off, and it was set properly. Let me bore you withthe facts. I rebuilt the 1750 engine new pistons rings bearings. And the car came with what appeared to be a rebuilt head, and ne wcam shaft. I assembled all and installed in car started and ran for 1-2 minutes (no exhaust) After assembling the exhaust 2 mo later I couldn't get it to run. Tried everything compression is 160 in all 4 cyl. had carbs rebuilt (CD150's) added electric fuel pump and capacitive ign system, but car would not start. (tried 3 distributors new wires points cap etc). Finally I removed the exhaust and it runs. I hav ethe manifold down pipe and collection pipe (2-1) and it runs, but add a straight pipe 3' lng and it will not run. :banghead: :banghead:

posted by  Comanderbob

Your Message