E-Brake light luminates for no apparent reason...

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  E-Brake light luminates for no apparent reason...

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie and this is my first real post besides my introduction...anyway, I own a 1991 Nissan Maxima SE V6 3.0L automatic tranny - anyway over the past week or two my Emergency brake light on the dashboard has been illuminating randomly for no apparent reason. Half the time, I'm in the middle of driving, my e-brake definitely is NOT on!
When I first noticed the prob, I stopped and tried pulling up my e-brake and pushing it back down to no avail. The light seems to come on and off inconsistantly - I do not notice any pattern of what I do when it does turn on. A few people have told me to check my brake fluid which I have and apparently is fine, but besides that, its my E-BRAKE light and not my anti-lock light or anything that I would think has to do with my regular brakes, but then again I don't know. I would appreciate anyone's suggestion. Thanks! :ohcrap:

posted by  LMaRiE91MaXiMa

Dont say I didnt warn you all that I dont know much about cars....turns out I just needed brake fluid!

Thank you for your insight. I'm a 19 yr old female with absolutely no mechanical knowledge (except for some tad bits i pick up from my boyfriend or from reading posts on here). I didn't realize that the e-brake light would light up for anything else, but a problem with the E-brake, but boy am I glad that I am aware now, and without any mishaps in the meantime! Thanks again!

I have same problem in same year car. How did you fix it?

posted by  kilaraipuria

Your Message