1993 GRAND AM ENGINE PROBLEMS (POWER, RACES..)

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1993 GRAND AM ENGINE PROBLEMS (POWER, RACES..)

Hi
I'm starting to lose my cool trying to find out the problem with the engine. Heres the short version of it. One day I was pissed off at the car and a nailed the gas pedal really hard, ever since the engine lacks power, it is very loud untill it switches into a higher gear. Also its an automatic. I'm not sure if its the TPS or not, maybe the cable. Who knows. It takes up to 4 RPMS to switch into higher gear which it never did before.

Any Ideas??

Thanks

posted by  snipez

Yeah, here's an idea. If you want help with diagnosing a drivability problem start by giving all pertinent information on the car. Next give an accurate description of the problem. "It takes up to 4 RPMS to switch into higher gear". What the hell does that mean?

Directions for everybody who wants help. Think, type, read, think again. Is it useful information? Have I explained myself clearly? Does the description make sense? Have I included all needed info? Then think, type, read, think again. Do this at least twice before hitting submit.

posted by  vwhobo

what the hell is your problem, i just told you the problem, duh.

1993 grand am SE
134,000 km
auto
3.3 V6
recent tranny flush

Let's put this in your terms shall we.

The problem is:
Engine is very loud until it gets into 2nd gear.
Engine has no power.
Once it gets into 2nd gear it runs fine.
It should be switching gears under 3 RPMS not 4 RPMs ( in other words it takes forever for it to switch)
I stomped the gas pedal hard, this is where problem started

me speak no english

posted by  snipez

And you get no help smartass.

posted by  vwhobo

sorry pal

but your the jerk not me.

you reply acting like you are god around here, i asked a simple question and just because it wasn't to your liking you reply like a moron, stating everything down to the last letter what has to be in it, bite me kid

btw

you wouldn't be able to help me anyway, 12 year olds don't know much about cars

posted by  snipez

Hey, okay with me shit for brains. See if anybody else can or will help you out. In other words go fuck yourself.

posted by  vwhobo

Now that I have time to type let's look at all the info you gave out expecting people to help you with.

No information but a fairly good lead in.

We know from the first part of that sentence that you are immature. We also know that it's down on power and that it's loud but not what type of noise, ya see this forum doesn't have audio capability. We also have to assume it does this prior to every shift.

Holy crap an actual piece of information.

Why would the TPS make it run loud? Why would "the cable" make it run loud? How would you damage either by stabbing the gas pedal? Who knows? Well obviously you don't but I might.

Back to the "4RPMS" statement. You must have a very well calibrated tachometer or a very keen ear to hear "4RPMS". Or maybe you just don't know enough to supply accurate info. This is why it is so very important to supply good, useable information when asking for help online. You're not standing on the other side of my counter and I can't see your car.

When you say you asked a simple question what you mean to say is you asked a question like a simpleton. Just because it makes sense to you don't even think it makes sense to someone on the other side of the country or world.

Credit where credit is due. A simple thanks is more than most people give.

Now let's address your "kid" and "12 year old" statements. I won't bother telling you about my credentials, my posts stand for themselves, and there are others in here that know my age. Let's just say I'm not the child who damaged my car and then have to ask other people for help to bail me out. So if you think I'm three years younger than go right ahead. And as for me not being able to help you anyway, you're right. With the shit info you supplied you're not even interested in helping yourself, so why should anybody else try.

posted by  vwhobo

all i hear is blah blah blah

posted by  snipez

Your ears would work better if your head wasn't so far up your ass.

posted by  vwhobo

make yourselve useful and go huff some gas

posted by  snipez

Oh, that hurt sooo bad, I think I'm gonna cry. Who writes your comebacks, your third grade summer school teacher?

posted by  vwhobo

point proven

posted by  snipez

I can't help myself, I'm just dying to know. What point is that exactly?

posted by  vwhobo

LMAO, this is better than T.V!

posted by  84_Jetta_GLi

Only because you're smart enough to ask a complete question when you do. It's pure agony for me. 8)

posted by  vwhobo

you think you have it bad snipez? hehe

My 1993 grand am v6 3.3l keeps stalling on me during warmup and sometimes during highway speeds, say around 65mph. It's a huge pain in the @$$ especially since the power steering stops.

I brought it to a mechanic and he said it was either the idle air control valve or the ECM module, I replaced the IAC valve and while it worked for a while the same symptom came back.

Which is why I need to sell this pos

posted by  Craz

It's too late for this info to do you any good but here goes anyway. A new IAC may have fixed your problem at idle but not at 65 mph. It's called an Idle Air Control for a reason. Notice nothing in the name refers to highway cruising speed. You and your "mechanic" both get an F in logical thinking and rational decision making. I hope you enjoy spending money needlessly.

posted by  vwhobo

*grabs popcorn* hit snipez with the chair!!!!!!

posted by  Satty101

There's one in every forum, an asshole :thumbs:

posted by  Craz

as we can tell we have a newbie here.....vwhobo aint an asshole- hes almost always right, so dont screw around wit him.

posted by  SuperJew

I agree and you're it.

Thanks for covering my back SJ. ;)

posted by  vwhobo

thats what im here for 8)

posted by  SuperJew

How did I miss this thread???? :twisted: Guess I don't give a rats *ss about Grand Ams.

It has not been stated directly for snipez's benifit that the 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 on his/her tach is in thousands of RPMS. (this is shown by the X1000 on the tach) Thus the car used to shift under 3000 RPMS and now shifts around 4000 RPMS. Poor car. :( Stating it in that way would have maybe not irritated vwhobo so much that he got frustrated.

I can empathize with vwhobo. I have to deal with answering questions with little information given as part of my job. He's doing it on his own time in this forum. It is hard though to quell the free flow of sarcastic thoughts that come to mind as you initially try to truely help someone and then realize that they did not communicate the problem acurately and clearly. Thus the pissing match began. 8O

We all have a responsibilty to at least TRY to understand the problem with our vehicles so that when it comes time to ask for assistance from people with more experience, we can ask in a clear and accurate manner. Then we can EXPECT to get some help with the issue. Then peace falls across the board and all are happy. :P

If we don't TRY we can't EXPECT.

Peace!

posted by  theman352001

Wow, and I thought I was just an asshole. 8) Thanks for the support but I've explained this many times before, not as eloquently, to no avail. Maybe you'll have better luck.

posted by  vwhobo

I was inspired to rant. I've seen your attempts. You probably have a block of text somewhere so you can just cut and paste it in where needed. It seems to come up too often.

posted by  theman352001

Your Message