2003 Saturn L300

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  2003 Saturn L300

My 2003 Saturn L300 has appr. 16,000 miles. Over the last year we've noticed a "side-to-side jerking motion" when hitting potholes. The dealship checked it and found that both rear tires needed replacing and it needed a 4-wheel alignment. After changing the tires and aligning, the shop foreman stated that all L300's handle that way (he compared the jerking motion to a new 2005 and found it did it also). Has anyone experienced similar circumstances with an L300. I'm concerned about it needing 2 new tires and an alignment after only 1 year of ownership. The "jerking" motion borders on a safery issue, too. Thanks.
:banghead:

posted by  electricajun

If it needed two new tires, then it needed the alignment.

posted by  DodgeRida67

DOH!!!!!!!! Yeah, you're right ... but I've never had a vehicle that "needed" an alignment and subsequent tire replacement that soon. Just wondering if that should be considered normal in an L300, and can I expect the need for alignments every year.

posted by  electricajun

No it's not normal for normal driving. Abusive driving, such as hard turning/cornering, bumping into curbs when parking, hard braking ect causes your alignment to run out of spec, and tire wear begins. All you have to do is always inspect your tires every 10-15K miles and you will be ok. If you see uneven or premature tire wear, an alignment is almost always the solution.

posted by  DodgeRida67

:clap: Good News!!! The dealership found the problem! It was a "bad rear strut" and coincidentally, they found a similar defective strut on 2 other new models. This obviously was the cause of the alignment need, tire replacement and rear end wobble, since the role of the strut is not only for shock absorbing, but also for structural support and keeping the tires aligned. Thanks for your input, DodgeRida67 :thumbs:

posted by  electricajun

Your Message