1994 Grandam GT

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1994 Grandam GT

Hello Everyone,
I have a 1994 Grand am that seems to be having a cooling system problem. When I drive the car, the cooling system will overheat, sending the coolant back into the surge tank, and out the preasure cap. This only happens for a few seconds, and then the temperature goes back down to normal, and the fluid stops coming out. I only have to drive the car a few miles each day, and this only happens one time each way. Sounds pretty wierd. I had the car in the shop, but of course the car didn't act up. Go figure :banghead:
I went ahead and had the shop install a new thermostat, but I am thinking I may be developing a waterpump issue.

What does everyone think

posted by  bcomer

Does the temperature gauge actually show that your engine is overheating? How much so? It's my opinion that you may have a bad rad cap if not.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Yes the guage does show when the engine overheates. Normal running temp on the guage is between 150 & 220. The critical mass temp on the guage 280. During short drive, the temp can reach 280, and the coolant is forced back into the surge tank and out the presure cap. The strange thing then is that all of a sudden, the temp will drop and the fluid is recirculated. This can happen several times during a drive of about 5 miles. I did purchase a new presure cap as I though that might be the problem, but I was wondering if it might be a waterpump cutting in and out, causing the flux in temp when it kicks in and circulates the fluid.

Hope this helps.

posted by  bcomer

In that case I wouldn't know.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Thanks Anyway :thumbs:

posted by  bcomer

Your Message