Steering Rack...

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Steering Rack...

I am curious as this is a term a person used. he said he is having issue with it:

"as for the steering rack, the rack it's self isn't bad just one of the lines on it is bad. but it's just as easy to replace the whole thing with new(er) if your going to be in there anyway.

the car drives and runs fine.... just wanted to be up front with the noted problems...
I had the price at $2900 before I realized the rack was leaking"

I presumed he may be talking about the steering column in some way, but am not sure about the specifics. I am curious also what he may mean by leaking, in the steering rack, a hose leaking power steering fluid perhaps? Also this is all for a 1990 GSX AWD. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I would know what I am getting into if I purchase the vehicle.

posted by  Flame Roller

GSX...GSX...What type of GSX?

posted by  DodgeRida67

I didn't realize there was more than one type of 1990 GSX AWD vehicle, I am speaking about a DSM, a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, sorry about not being specific enough, although I thought I was.

posted by  Flame Roller

Well, there is also a 1990 Buick Skylark GSX. Not all wheel drive though. And there are others, just making sure. Anyway...

Maybe this is what you want, I dont really know. Depending on which hose...

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRE SULTS&MfrCode=PWR&MfrPartNumber=71550&PartType=18&PTSet=A

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRE SULTS&MfrCode=PWR&MfrPartNumber=81206&PartType=19&PTSet=A

posted by  DodgeRida67

I will talk to the seller a little more to determine which hose is leaking if possible. Also I was not trying to make fun of you dodge, just saying that by my saying 1990 GSX AWD I was specific enough, but I suppose if someone just comes looking they may not know where to start looking for GSX in general, so in that sense I could have specified it was a mitsubishi.

Also tbax, thanks for the help, will a haynes manual run me through the procedure for that sort of operation, whether it be the simple hose change for the rack and pinion gear, or for the more pain in the butt operation? Whenever I buy a car I find a haynes to go along with it, for the help, should the need arise, which it does sometimes for someone who knows only a few things about cars such as myself.

Thanks again all.

posted by  Flame Roller

Your Message