1991 Ford Explorer

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1991 Ford Explorer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

I am trying to install a cd player in my 91 Explorer I have hooked up all the wires and I still have a red, a orange/black, and a couple of speaker wires unattached, and to top it off something is shorting out my dash lights causing them to not work.

If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

posted by  bails_11

Darn! Don't you just hate it when you have left over wires? The "something" causing the lights to "short out" in your dash is you. How could you have hooked up all the wires if you have two left over, and some speaker wires? :banghead: Yank it out, tape up the wires and take it somewhere to someone who can do the job for you. No, I'm not being an asshole, I'm saving you heartache.

posted by  DodgeRida67

FYI I have left over wires because I have hooked all the wires I can to my CD player. As for the left over speaker wires they were already hanging when I pulled my factory deck out.

posted by  bails_11

This is why the "one subject, one thread" concept works so well... Until some moron comes along and f*cks it up. Read this http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=7199 .

posted by  vwhobo

lol i did once hehe.. u prolly mistake the ground wire on the interior lights wire.
u should buy an adapter for the new stereo. on my dads truck, it uses one wire to speakers and a converter that converts it to a two wire speaker system.
does ur stereo work? does it work correctly.. only turns on with key?
well get a test light.. B+ and probe the wires for a good ground . the light should light on 2 wires..(if my theory is correct) one is real stereo ground and other is wire to deliver b+ to interior lights, (dash,gear selector, etc..) then u just check for b+ when u turn on headlights .. if ur lucky u can just conenct em and behold u can see ur speedometer at night again. but if that b+ wire from headlight switch/curcuit is just a low amp signal, then u will need to get a fog light relay and wire accordingly.

posted by  thongsai

Forget the fact that your information is sketchy at best and dangerous at worst, I have one question for you. Why should he, or anyone for that matter, take directions from someone who is unable to accurately use the English language? I can't wait to decypher your response.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message