Information needed on fuel pumps

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Information needed on fuel pumps

Hey. I'm not really a car buff, but the information i need should be right up your alley (sorry if i've posted in the wrong section, but this seemed the most accurate one). There are several things I'm trying to find out...

First is, do all fuel systems that have no "return fuel dilivery system" use an impellar type of pump?

Second is, what makes and models of car come with an impellar pump?

The reason I'm asking is I'm looking into using a fuel pump as a water pump (I'll be using water wetter and distilled water, so rusting should be minimalized) and the plunger type of pump tends to send short bursts instead of continuous flow.

My final question is, how loud are fuel pumps? Impellar or otherwise? Can they be heard running?

For those of you that actually want to know what I will be doing with this pump I'm after, I'm planning to watercool my computer. It's a scarry idea to most, but if done right, there will be no problems. not unlike a car's cooling system. As a matter of fact, I'm using the heater cores from a couple of old pontiacs from the wreckers to cool this system. Preferably, I'm looking to find some high GPH pumps, but high preformance cars are rare at the local wrecking yard.

posted by  QBM00001

Before we persue this much further let me ask you a question. Will the pump be submerged (such as in a fish tank) or will it be a stand alone unit with a pick-up leading into the water source?

posted by  vwhobo

Preferably, Inline, but if nessesary, I can have a box built if it has to be partially submerged, but running it dry is what i'm shooting for. (12v leads would corrode their *blank* off if they were submerged i'd imagin)

I just realized i didn't answer your question. It will NOT be submerged.

posted by  QBM00001

You nailed the two things I was needing to know which shows me you've given this more thought than most of the questions like this on a forum. This is my suggestion for a pump. Available from any decent car parts store, online or even e-Bay.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/FMS/FuelPump_pics/f12-801-1. jpg

posted by  vwhobo

Looks beautiful. Now i'vew got a slew of questions
Most important, what is its model number? ...the rest of these can slide
Power consumption?
GPH?
Fitting's sizes?
How long it'll run?
Does it run cool?

posted by  QBM00001

I've answered my own question. anybody not wanting to do research go here.
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/FMS/FMSFP/12-801-1.html

Thanks alot for the help. I've been trying to find this information Googling... You guys were my last resort, and gave me an answer so fast... yeesh, should have come here in the first place.

posted by  QBM00001

I'll let the website answer the questions. I can attest to the durability of these pumps as I've owned one in particular for about 25 years. That's not a typo. The best thing is that they're rebuildable and the parts are readily available.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/FMS/FMSFP/12-801-1.html

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message