ABS INOP light on a 95 3.4L Firebird

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  ABS INOP light on a 95 3.4L Firebird

I am just curious what could be causing the ABS INOP light to come on, it only happens sometimes when I start it up, other times it won't. I don't really notice any difference while driving, but have not tried to brake hard to see if the tires will lock up or not. Any help is appreciated, thanks all.

posted by  Flame Roller

If you brake hard enough, your tires will lock up. ABS or not.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Holy crap, you did so good for so long, what's happening all of a sudden? Are you eating stupid pills or what? If the brakes are locking and the tires are skidding the ABS is not working properly. That is a fact. :banghead:

What, huh? The light is supposed to come on EVERY TIME you start it up. Either you're not paying close attention or you're doing a poor job of describing your situation. Which is it?

posted by  vwhobo

Stupid pills? Darn. Busted. :ohcrap:

Nah, the problem is I get to feeling smart and get to posting about things I have no business posting about. I'll stop!. :banghead:

posted by  DodgeRida67

the ABS INOP light is coming on I mean it is coming on and staying on.... I know it is supposed to come on momentarily upon start up, but I mean it stays on sometimes, and other times it acts like it normally should. Curious as to what reasons it may think it needs to stay on, but only sometimes.

posted by  Flame Roller

I have a 94 Camaro that does the same thing, and many times ( four to date) when it happened I ended up replacing the alternator shortly thereafter. Most likely it is warning you about something electrical going bad. Sounds crazy but, that's what mine does.

posted by  Grover

you've had to replace your alternator four times?!?!

posted by  JaneiR36

What exactly are you saying...that the light was a "warning sign" to a bad alternator? Did a new alternator make the light go off?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Oh, I see, you're doing a poor job of describing your situation. So what you're telling us is that you have an intermittent ABS light. Have we read the thread about how to describe your problem (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2200)? Is it totally random or is there a pattern to it (speed, weather, temperature, turning, bumps, etc)? Having all the pertinent information helps so much. In the end the only way to accurately diagnose an ABS light is to do a visual inspection of the system's components and hook up the trusty old scan tool, unless you want to just replace parts and cross your fingers.

posted by  vwhobo

Woah. Let me try that again. If you brake hard enough your tires are going to squeal. Seemingly locked up. That's not really going to get you anywhere.

posted by  DodgeRida67

He's only telling you part of the story, either by design or through ignorance. On many (most?) late model GM cars, when there is a charging system malfunction the instrument display starts to go nuts. The ABS light illuminating intermittently is just one of them.

Either he's buying junk, or junkyard, parts or he's covering a system malfunction with a new alternator. Whichever, when he runs out of money he'll have to do it the right way.

posted by  vwhobo

Alright in case you do not know my vehicle is a 95 3.4L V6 SFI (sequential fuel injected) and has an intermittant problem with the abs light coming on sometimes and staying on. Generally I think the car is cold. Also weather has been the same here for awhile, somewhat cool temperatures, but above freezing. As far as speed it does not matter as it stays on from when I start the car up.

Also Dodgerida, while I am not mechanically car savvy I do know how to drive one, and as far as seeing if my wheels lock up on hard braking or not will not accomplish anything, I already know if the ABS isn't working it will lock up, and if the ABS is working then it will work hard not to. That is not the issue here, I am simply looking for a plausible reason for the light to come on, and stay on, only sometimes.

posted by  Flame Roller

Refer to post nine in this thread.

posted by  vwhobo

You missed my point. My point was this; How are you going to know if they lock up?

posted by  DodgeRida67

I do not need to know. I am not worried about if the ABS is actually not working or not, although I'd assume it isn't if the light is on. My point was only to find out why it was doing that.

P.S. The car died today, and got a new alternator in it, running ok... for now but what Grover says about having to replace the alternator four times has me thinking I may have the same issue, but I did get a lifetime warranty. However I am still curious then what could be the cause of ruining alternators so frequently, any ideas?

posted by  Flame Roller

You don't make any sense.

What you were saying was you could stomp your brakes and by stomping your brakes know if they lock up or not. How the hell?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Actually I did not ever say that I needed to know whether my brakes would lock up... I wanted to know why the ABS light was coming on and staying on sometimes.... not too tricky to understand.

posted by  Flame Roller

I don't have the technical knowledge to help but you I have to say that I think you're wasting people's time here.

What do you mean you don't want to know if the system is working, just the light? If that's your sole concern, yank out the LED or cut the wire leading to it and be done with it :banghead: No one's gonna talk to you about a light when you could have a system failure that could get you killed.

posted by  JaneiR36

I know it. This guy really gets to me. :banghead:

posted by  DodgeRida67

First of all I know that if the light is on the system is not working properly, thusly I do not need to be informed of that. Secondly I know how to check to see if it is or is not working properly by seeing if the brakes lock up or not. Thirdly it is odd that the light only comes/stays on sometimes and not all the time, so I was curious as to what the cause of this may be. Fourthly you have no point in saying I am wasting time, as people do not need reply if they don't want to, including yourselves

posted by  Flame Roller

Really? That's what I've been trying to get to for the last few posts...HOW ARE YOU GOING TO KNOW IF THEY LOCK UP OR NOT?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Let's see if s/he can answer the question this time...

Flame Roller, you are wasting people's time by coming here saying you have a problem and then giving all kinds of silly answers almost to the point of showing a lack of interet when asked more questions that could help them diagnose it. So seeing as you wasted their time after the fact, they didn't really have a choice on whether or not to get it wasted in the first place.

I cannot help you, but you've already lost one person that was trying to. Wait till you lose the second.

posted by  JaneiR36

Flame Roller has somewhat of a history on this forum doing the same sort of thing. Then he wonders why people either don't help him or flame him. The answer seems very clear to me.

posted by  vwhobo

All I asked was whether there may be a reason my ABS INOP light comes on and stays on sometimes. I also told VWHOBO when he asked abotu weather, car temp, etc. that is happens when the car is cold generally, and I also informed him that the temperatures were cold here, but above freezing, I also said it only happened sometimes which allowed him to deduce it was an intermittent problem.... Other than that no one has asked me any questions about the problem other than Dodge saying my brakes would lock up if the ABS does not work, which isn't really a question, and I still chose to tell him they would lock up with the ABS INOP light on, and that I felt no need to check to see if it was so... because I know that when the light is on, the system does not work. Beyond that the person who helped me the most was Grover who said replace the alternator, which was an obvious problem when my car died a few days ago, the lighs don't show up on the dash anymore, and thusly I am hoping it was just the alternator. Other than that my only worry is Grover said he's replaced his alternator 4 times, and thusly this problem could be bigger than that....and if the problem is bigger than I am still looking for any assistance in the situation.

Now please tell me what you don't understand?

posted by  Flame Roller

My Cars ABS INOP light comes on and stays on but not allways while breaking and not as soon as i start the car sumtimes it takes 2 mins some times it takes 15 sometimes it happens on the highway sumtimes it happens in a school zone... neone have ne idea why this would b happening i got this can from a car auction a few weeks ago with no manuel or nething... the car is a RS automatic 3.8l V6 series 2... ne help would b nice

posted by  Wolfden

My Cars ABS INOP light comes on too, but, only when the car reach the 100 km/h (allways in this speed). Any idea?

posted by  silvera1

sorry i forgot to say, my car is an Pontiac Sunbird 94 3.1L

posted by  silvera1

I had the same problem on my 1995 Camero. The dealership said a new wiring harness $400+ 4 years ago. I smeared 1/4 cent worth of vaseline into the connectors on the spindle sensor wiring connectors and havent had any problems since.

posted by  Charles55

I am having the same problem as listed. When I start my car everything is fine. As soon as I use the brakes, the ABS INOP light appears. The ABS system seems to be working fine, in fact it is working great. The breaks are firm and responsive. I took my car to an Autozone for a free diagnosis. I didn't know this, but for that year model they plug in some fork looking tool, and the Check Engine Light is supposed to blink in codes. When he plugged it in there was no code blinking. So I have just chalked my ABS light up to faulty sensor... At least thats what I am hoping. Sometime I might try the vaseline trick, but I might get a second opinion on that idea before I start trying stuff like that, someone once told me that putting a CD in the toilette was the best way to clean it off. Needless to say I don't always take the first advice I hear.

posted by  reelbadfish1986

My ABS lights are on can I drive my car...I have an Issuzu Trooper

posted by  ejboricua

Yes. ABS is a completely different system from the standard braking system. You of will not have ABS, but the car will stop just fine.

posted by  corbett_auto

Your Message