Hello I'm Ros

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Hello I'm Ros

How does one tighten the crankshaft timing gear on a 1987 Ford Bronco? The manual I have says there is a keyway in the gear and a key that holds it. My gear has no keyway.

Thanks

Ros

posted by  rosadar

Welcome ross. Um, buddy, you don't post questions in the introduce yourself section of these forums. Just so you know, this type of post should go in Repairs and Maintenance. Don't worry, A mod will move this. As for the answer to your question, I don't know. But by what you said the manual says, it sounds like its held in by the balancer, which is press fit or bolted. Possibly both. But take that with a grain of salt, because I don't know I'm just speaking in almost general terms.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Welcome, Ross, I wont move this to the R&M section, instead I'll copy it for you so that you have the best of both worlds :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Well Ros buddy. It's always soooo helpful to know WHICH BRONCO and WHICH ENGINE we're talking about but I digress. Perhaps the entire point of this thread is to play stump the dummy.

Anyway, we don't know if you have a 2.8, 4.9, 5.0 or a 5.8. For all we know somebody dropped a small-block Chevy into it, but we've already covered your total lack of information. Assuming it still has a Ford engine in it (or even a SBC) I can personally assure you there is a keyway in the crank AND the gear. Did it ever occur to you that you new gear (it is new isn't it, how the f*ck do we know) was machined defectively?

So Ros, get a little more info together and get back to us. I for one won't be able to sleep until we figure this out.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message