Coolant problem

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Coolant problem

Help needed...

I have a 1994 Grandam GT with a 3.1 VP. Recently I have been experiencing cooling system problems, which resulted in my cars engine temperature to rise to a critical level, and then dropping back down to normal. I have had the thermastat changed, and the water pump changed, but the problem stiil is there. Today I had the shop, check to see if my heads were the problem, but there was nothing wrong with the heads of gaskets. I don't know what else to look for. The shop said that it is possible the I may be on the verge of a head gasket problem. If so, do to the age of the car, is there an additive that I can use the prolong the life of the gasket.

Help Appreciated....

posted by  bcomer

Hi, yes if it keeps running hot you will have a head gasket problem ,Have you checked your fan ? Is it working correctly, just a thought Slim

posted by  Slimone

Thanks for the help. Yes I checked the fan, it checked out fine. The funny thing is, the engine starts to overheat within the first 10 minutes to driving, but drops back down as though something kicks in. Thank is why I originally thought it was a thermostat sticking closed, and then opening.

If it is on the verge of a head gasket problem, do they make an additive that may buy some time to the existing head gasket? I only ask this because the car is getting old, and has allot of miles, so I don't necessarily want to break down and buy a car just yet.

Thanks....

posted by  bcomer

try Morrosso Ceramic seal

posted by  barretire

Thanks, I will look into this :thumbs:

posted by  bcomer

[QUOTE=bcomer]Help needed...

I have a 1994 Grandam GT with a 3.1 VP. Recently I have been experiencing cooling system problems, which resulted in my cars engine temperature to rise to a critical level, and then dropping back down to normal.

Is the vehicle actually overheating?? Some times a radical or sudden change in the heat gage is caused by a poor ground on the temp sensor or a short or poor connection in the wireing for the sender...Just a thought

posted by  inmavt2

All good checks above, another thing to add to the list is a check of your radiator hoses. Sometimes an old hose can callapse when the engine speed is increased. This restricts the flow of water. It is an easy check..just watch the hoses as someone revs the engine. If a hose is bad, you will see it squash down.

posted by  ErnieIII

Yes, when it does, the fluide is forced back to the surge and out the pressure cap. I have found out that I may be developing a nhead gasket issue, that could be causing an aire bubble to form in the cooling system, that can prevent the thermastat from funtioning correctly, resulting in the overheat. Makes sense. Thanks for the reply... :thumbs:

posted by  bcomer

I will look into this...Thanks, :thumbs:

posted by  bcomer

Your Message