Buick Regal Supercharger

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Buick Regal Supercharger

:x Just lost both serpentine belts on the car at lunch today. Since I was no wher near home, needed to tow to a garage and have them do the repair. $200 bucks later, I may still have another problem. In the disintegration phase, one of the belts wound around the supercharger and the Tech. thinks it may have damaged the seal. There was some oil around the unit. Any suggestions?

posted by  Tony Mason

Simple, replace the seal. More important is why did the belt disintegrate. Lack of maintenance (shame on you) or is there a root cause. It will be cheaper to find and fix now the to have it happen again. Good luck.

posted by  vwhobo

:rolleyes: OK I just bought the car a couple of months ago and with five other cars around here, didn't think I needed to worry about this one. So, maybe it's an example of neglect. :oops: Mark me chastised!
Now, how difficult is it to replace this seal? I do have pullers, but noticed some sites have custom pullers for these. I would imagine the seal is a dealer item. Are they readily available?
Thanks

posted by  Tony Mason

Can't make any further calls without vehicle info. Unfortunately you seem to have missed the most important part of my last post. What caused the belts to let go? If you don't fix that it'll just happen agian.

posted by  vwhobo

Doesn't seem to be a problem with any of the pulleys. All are free and lined up. I'm guessing the supercharger belt just gave way and in the process knocked the other off. It was still in passable shape. I just had them replace both as a precaution. I'll search for help locally here I guess.

posted by  Tony Mason

:? OK I'll bite. What information do you need to help me out? It's a '98 Regal GS with the 3.8 and the supercharger. I appologize, I haven't gotten out to get a manual yet so I'm sort of pissing in thhe dark here for awhile. I'm sure a good workshop manual would help a lot.
Thanks for the help.

posted by  Tony Mason

This is the only thing I can come up with quickly. Eaton made the supercharger but Manguson is the only authorized rebuilder and parts supplier. They sell a kit to do what you need, don't know the price.

Manguson Products
3172 Bunsen Av
Ventura, Ca, 93003
Phone: 805-642-8833
FAX: 805-642-1936

posted by  vwhobo

Thank you very much! I'll chase it from here and let you know how it comes out.

posted by  Tony Mason

Cool, good luck.

posted by  vwhobo

Well, Magnuson tells me I have three options.
One, I can go to the dealer and he'll replace the entire supercharger!
Two, Magnuson will sell me a seal kit one time for $55. Apparently the seal is pretty fragile and requires a precise installation with a press and a installation collar.
Three, I can buy a complete rebuilt nose cone assembly from them for $310 plus about $30 for shipping.

Since I don't have a press and haven't found a local rebuilder, I'm thinking I should go the route of the nose cone kit. What do you think?

posted by  Tony Mason

Go with the kit. I don't even want to think about what the entire thing would cost from the dealer. If you're interested I can give you the name of companies that sell them exchange.

posted by  vwhobo

That was my thought too. With the kit, I avoid the possibility of screwing up the seal and any other possible problems with the nose assembly.
Just doing a check of the web sites, they seem to be the best pricing. Now, I just have to dig into it.
Thanks again.

posted by  Tony Mason

'Trying to look after my beloved '98 Regal GS but can't find any clear instructions on regular maintenance for the supercharger.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

posted by  kwickwit

Hello friends,

I just had the same problem where the pully on my 98 Buick Regal came apart from the bearing and broke the one belt. So I replaced them both but is there a way that you can check the oil in the supercharger?

Thanks,
Rich

posted by  rkcollectables

I'm the proud owner of a 98 Regal GS and Buick maintenance manual states when engine cool the oil plug on the nose of the supercharger is removed to check oil level. Should be at bottom of oil plug threads. Use special supercharger oil! Its a sealed unit and usually doesn't require any maintenance unless the seal leaks. Minimal seepage or weepage as buick calls it is normal and usually has belt dust or road grit stick to it to make it appear much worse.
Recommendation - wipe area clean regularly and make sure belts are always in good condition

posted by  98RegalGS

The belts fly off the engine without notice because of the cheap pulleys they ride on.
The pulleys' bearings must be checked on a regular basis. GM wants them to fail.

wojski   10 Feb 2012 16:01

Your Message