91 Maxima automatic shifter getting stuck...

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  91 Maxima automatic shifter getting stuck...

Hello all, I own a 1991 Nissan Maxima SE 3.0L V6 Automatic transmission... In my car you have to depress the brake pedal BEFORE pushing the selector button on my shifter to "unlock" the shifter and then push the selector button and shift the car into gear from "P" (park).
Lately, the "switch" or whatever it is that unlocks my shifter when I depress the brake pedal does not work. Usually there is a "click" noise you can hear upon depressing the brake, letting you know it unlocked the shifter. I can't get my car to shift into any gear from Park. (Nissan must have anticipated this problem to occur since there is an 'emergency' button to unlock the shifter :doh: )
I was just wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem or if they have any ideas what could be causing it?
NOTE: I just had to put more brake fluid into my car recently and was wondering if maybe it had something to do with my brakes or with the amount of pressure in the braking system (maybe theres not enough pressure to hit the switch under there?!?) It's odd because it does work most of the time, but I notice it usually happens AFTER driving and then parking (without turning the engine off) and trying to move it back into gear. Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!!! :laughing:

posted by  LMaRiE91MaXiMa

this is something electrical not pressure.. when u step on brakes, it activate a switch to power the selenoid to let ur shifter go. so possible problems r:
switch at brakes, wiring to switch, wiring to selenoid, or selenoid.

posted by  thongsai

I had the exact same problem with a 1994 Altima. The problem was the switch at the brake pedal. Once replaced, worked fine. I did find that I could turn the vehicle off, shift to N, then start the vehicle and shift into Drive. Unfortunately, I later discovered that that switch (I believe at least) is connected to the brake lights as well. So during the times when the switch wasn't working, neither were my brake lights. Best of luck on fixing the problem!

posted by  bfeller

Hey Thanks to both of you for your insight into my situation. I will have that checked out most likely this weekend (now that I have a more specific idea on what could be causing the problem) - my car is also due for a tune-up.
Anyway, here's another problem i had just yesterday which may or may not be related:

I went to start my car yesterday and everything came on as it should (i.e. the radio, antenna, power seatbelts, etc.) but when i went to turn the ignition to actually start the engine, there was NOTHING. The engine wouldn't even try to turn over. It was as if the engine lost connection with the battery or something, but it couldn't be the battery itself since all my other stuff (like the radio, etc.) came on as it should. (Right?!?) I'm thinking maybe my shifter has a problem, like the car doesn't know when its in or out of park. Could this be possible? Is there a sensor in there telling it what gear its in? (Well duh..there has to be some kind of sensor..it is automatic!) Please help! :ohcrap:
P.S.: I did get it to start eventually after jigglin the shifter a little...

yea cars have a neutral/park safety switch.. its to prevent people starting the car when its in gear, check the connections on the shifter.

posted by  thongsai

lose the purple ink man.

posted by  Ki2AY

Hey Ki2AY...First of all its MAGENTA i.e. PINK, and I am a GIRL, "man"... Secondly, if you aren't here to comment on anything relevant to the situation, then you are just wasting your own time. Don't you have anything better to do then criticize the color of my font?? LOL I can tell you have a very interesting life... :thumbs:
Thank you to everyone else who actually has input worthy of reading! It is very much appreciated! :laughing:

fine keep posting in "PURPLE"! BITCH, "IM A GIRL SO I POST IN PURPLE, BECAUSE ITS CUTE" :laughing: AND NO, I WASNT CRITICIZING YOU, I JUST SAID "LOSE THE PURPLE" TRYING TO HELP YOU OUT BEFORE YOU GET A RUDE AWAKENING FROM THE MEMBERS IN HERE, obviously you have no idea what kinda forum this is. :screwy: take it from me, A MEMBER WHO HAS BEEN HERE WAY LONGER THAN YOU, lets see how long you will still be able to post in "PURPLE" before the memebrs (WHO HAS BEEN IN HERE LONGER THAN YOU, U LIL NOOB) will notice.

posted by  Ki2AY

:stupid: Oh My Gosh, I am osooo sorry Ki2AY, I did not realize that I was speaking with a psychopathic mentally handicap online dweeb :screwy: such as yourself! First off brainiac, telling someone to "lose the purple" (which by the way is PINK, need I remind you) isn't of all that much assistance, when in all reality they are paying more attention to getting answers to their question regarding REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE on their VEHICLE! :doh:
Secondly, you mention that you've been here "waay longer" than me...right? Well, I find it particularly funny that you've only joined in May of this year?? LOL whoop dee freakin doo, do you want a biscuit for the whole 5 months you've been a member before me?!?!? LMFAO I forgot how long 5 months really are...I can see the gray hairs coming in already!!! :laughing:
And uuhh I've been posting in PINK the majority of the posts I've created on this site, and guess what?? Not a dam person's mentioned any problems with that besides your pathetic lil dorkie ass self!
Besides, if the actual DEVELOPERS of the site really did not want me to post in my pretty ass PINK color, then uuuhh obviously THEY WOULDN'T HAVE PUT THAT OPTION THERE, MORON!!!
Anyway, here's a lil advice: GET A LIFE! oh yea, and :fu:

damn straight :clap:

posted by  Jediah

Your Message