Help Asap Please

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Help Asap Please

We have a 1992 Chevy Beretta 3.1 automatic

Today while hubby was coming home from work after he got off the freeway and was a few blocks from our house, he went to stop at a stop light and when he let off of the gas, the car died out of no-where. Showed no signs of any problems. No Check Engine Light.

He brought the car home checked the oil and everything. The oil was low. He put more oil in the car and started the car and it started right away. He drove it around the block and it was fine. He went to go help his sister with something and we are right back at square one.

He parked the car in the garage and was listening under the hood to see if maybe something would give him some idea. And right after the car dies, you can hear a gurgling noise and he said it sounds like its coming from under the Plenum?, where the fuel injectors sit.

He is thinking that maybe there is a leaky fuel injector??? Is that possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is our ONLY car!!!! :thumbs:

posted by  Dawn7246

Well at the present moment the car is working fine! :banghead: Figures how one minute a car will work perfectly fine, the next...it doesnt! :roll:

So obviously the car is getting spark if it is running and the car is getting fuel because its working.

We have a code reader and have checked for codes and though-out this whole process of trying to figure out with my car, no codes have showed up at all.

He is going to chance driving it to work tomorrow morning, so if he is not back at home when I wake up at 8am then I know he will have made it to work ok.

If anyone else has any other idea's they would be appreciated! Thanks! :wink2:

posted by  Dawn7246

Ok the car is still being a pain in the butt.

We changed the Oxygen sensor becuase finally some codes came up.

The oxygen sensor code still comes up but so does the MAP sensor!

Is this making and sense! Im desperate!

posted by  Dawn7246

Dawn, don't forget to post the exact codes you got so people can better help you.

posted by  JaneiR36

Hello ; I have a little experience with GM and with those vintage of GM's , it sounds to me more like an electical problem , GM used some crappy fuse blocks under the hood that the main ignition wires go to , and often sudden complete stall is because one of the main ignition cables becomes loose !
Tighten all the bolt type connections on the main fuse block . And check for any possible shorted wires ( ie bare and exposed crossed wires )
The only other thing I can think of is a bad fuel regulator , if you smell any fuel thats probably what it is .
Hope that helps ...Regards..ARG :wink2:

posted by  Rythim034

Currently my car is at a shop. The shop that worked on it over the summer. They are looking at it for no charge because Im having this bad feeling that its one of the fuel injectors that they JUST replaced acting up!!! :cussing: :fu:

Thanks for helping. I will make sure that hubby sees this!!!

posted by  Dawn7246

Your Message