engine overheating?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  engine overheating?

Hi,

I've got a '91 Corsica and everything works fine with the engine (particularly on the highway) but when I drive in town and traffic is going slow (i.e. rush hour) my engine overheats... I think it's the electric fan that's not working, which means it's either the fan or the thermal sensor to turn the fan on and off... :(

I'm wondering how much this kind of thing costs to repair / replace... Am I looking at a $300 job? more?

I kinda know what's going on with cars but I don't have nearly enough experience to gauge how much the price would be to fix...

thanks

posted by  niner

Well, well, well. Somehow my previous reply to this post disappeared... AGAIN!

Based on your info you've made a pretty fair call. Basically if it's not overheating on the highway you're down to three items. The fan motor, the coolant temperature sensor, or the fan relay in that order. Of course wiring is possible but not likely.

Any fair and competent shop should be able to diagnose and repair your problem in the $75-$150 area depending on which it is. Of course keep in mind that's based on shop rates in my area, yours may be slightly higher (not likely lower). Good luck and let me know how it goes.

posted by  vwhobo

Thanks vwhobo, that's awesome news...

Took it to the mechanic this morning, haven't heard back yet (should tomorrow because i need the car by Wed. 9am regardless)... I'll be sure to let you know..

Again, thanks!
niner

posted by  niner

you have a blown head gasket 8O

posted by  (o) (o)

You have no clue!

posted by  vwhobo

i guess you know everything about cars,right?
especially when you cant see the problem with your own eyes.
then again what do i know. i'm just the service manager at a lotus,panoz,laforza,qvale dealer :rolleyes:

posted by  (o) (o)

Uh no, just more than you. And if service managers could fix they wouldn't manage. As for not being able to see the car with your own eyes I gave three probable causes, you flatly stated what (you think) it is. Perhaps you not only know everything about cars but also have telepathic powers.

posted by  vwhobo

:rolleyes:

posted by  (o) (o)

Well, it's been about six months now. I wonder if we found the problem... or just blew off the people who helped us.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message