car is sluggish when accelerate....

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  car is sluggish when accelerate....

i got a 88 corolla and just lately it has been being sluggish when i accelerate. Ill be idle then when i apply gas it goes, drops down, then goes....does it in all gears. Im not sure what is causing it, but plzzzz help me. thanks!!

posted by  benko

Please supply all pertinent vehicle info. My crystal ball is broken today.

posted by  vwhobo

snap on has them on back order 8O

posted by  (o) (o)

i have the same thing with my 90 corolla, once up to 70, its fine, but the drivers behind me are irritated at me as if i just took my time to get there.
i have had my car for two months its a 90 corolla 1.6L has 140,000 miles on it, automatic transmission, 4 cylinders, only recent work done - oil change & tuneup. no other problems with it... slow to accelerate once it passes 35-40 mph when it gets up to 65 or so its fine again, it occurs warm or cold/ rain or shine as if something is not paying attention to the job at hand and needs to be prodded.

posted by  suzycue

tune it up maybe?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Suzycue's car has had a tune up according to her post but the other, who knows?

posted by  srober32

but when people say tune-up they often mean i had an air filter put in with my oil change

what the hell is "sluggish", it's not a race car. is it comparibly more sluggish than any other corolla out there?

when you start off in the morning and you get going on the highway, do you feel 1st, 2nd, 3rd, (4th?) gear and then overdrive? maybe it is an issue with the overdrive not disengaging (i've been throwing this around a lot lately, but hey you never know?)

posted by  carls47807

True dat, but as has been said before we can only go by the info given.

posted by  srober32

it will cause poor low end performance.advance til it pings,then back it up a little.the factory marks mean very little when there is 140000 miles on it.install an exhaust gas temperature analyser from a used cessna 185. you can get the timing perfect,or use a meat thermometer.

posted by  the lobster

Funny but i heard a guy tell me the exact same way to time his motor so i watched him in all his experiance time it with the method described above, needless to say i put the new motor in for him, nice big ole hole in the piston good job mr.goodwrench (he was a chevy fan) :screwy:

i did not say have fire while the valves are open and make the exhaust manifold cherry red.so i say ,advance timing make more difference set timing.but again,i40000 miles = not so factolly spec anymo.grade of gas ,ambient tempoture,atmospheric pressure all create bik truble so....i alway u the meat fermometuh. EGT prevent many trouble.

posted by  the lobster

Your Message