2003 altima engine will not rev

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  2003 altima engine will not rev

Hey,
I have a 2003 altima that is under warranty and is being fixed for the same problem for the third time. The problem is intermittent and what happens is that i will be driving along and all of the sudden the engine will not turn above idle speed. My car is a manual transmission and when i put it in neutral i can rev the engine, but in gear even without moving, and with the clutch fully depressed i cannot rev the engine.
The first time they told me that it was the battery that was screwing up the electronics. I did not belive that made any sense (i am an electrical engineer) but they insisted. The second time they found that i had a burnt out mass airflow sensor. That made more sense, but did not prove to be the problem. This last time they tell me that i need a new throttle body assembly. It sounds to me like they don't know what the problem is and are just replacing parts hoping to get the right one by luck.
Has anyone seen this problem before? Does it sound like they might have finally found the right thing?

posted by  kfoley42

Well, I had the throttle body assembly replaced and the problem still persists. In my searches this is sounding similar to a thread about a problem with the crank shaft sensor, with the exception that my car does not stall on me. ANy suggestions? I could now claim it as a lemmon, but i would much prefer to go to the dealer with a suggestion and have my car work for me.

posted by  kfoley42

The more i think of this, the more it seems like a sensor problem. I know that common problems of the altima are the cam sensor and the crankshaft sensor. Since I can rev the car in neutral but not in gear (even with clutch fully depressed) i assume that the problem can be bypassed with some connection to the transmission. Are either of these sensors at all connected to the transmission?

posted by  kfoley42

Your Message