Problem with my 1997 Kia Sephia starting...

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Problem with my 1997 Kia Sephia starting...

Hi all,
Approximately 1 1/2 years ago I got this 97 Kia Sephia as my first car. It was cheap and only had 40,000 miles. Since I've owned it, I've had a recurring problem that is a bit irritating.
Probably around every 6 months, the car just refuses to start. Now, this isn't the "battery" type of not-start, I've had those and this is different. Basically it doesnt make ANY noise when I try to start it. The CD player, lights and everything else work but the engine itself never makes a noise like its starting up, not even a grind or anything (maybe a slight click). The thing is, I've never had to get this fixed. After about 1 or 2 days of working it on and off at some point the car will start again and then work for another 5 - 6 months before it happens again.
Pretty weird stuff, anybody have an idea of what's going on?

Thanks a lot!
Rob

posted by  rooter

bump...

posted by  rooter

If its an auto, check your shifter switch.

posted by  Wally

Thanks Wally, I found another post thru google that would back up what you're telling me to check. Now my question is, what is a shifter switch and how could I check it and what would need to be done in order to fix it?

posted by  rooter

hi guys, this problem happened again recently... any tips!

posted by  rooter

the switch there are refering to is a safety neutral switch if the car is not in park or neutral it won't start try moving the shifter the contacts in the switch . with your on/off trick with the key you maybe arcing the contacts and they wear in and make contact again for a couple of months
this switch is normally located on the shift linkage at the transmission or a dedent ball switch screwed in to the transmission i'll have a look around see what i can find for the type of switch it use's

posted by  osborste

ok your switch is mounted with the linkage check the attachment

posted by  osborste

Thanks, that's interesting... I'll have to check that out.

posted by  rooter

Your Message