1991 Honda Civic LX 1.5 - 117k Miles - Transmission Flush - Good or bad?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1991 Honda Civic LX 1.5 - 117k Miles - Transmission Flush - Good or bad?

I just recently got a job at Jiffy Lube, and am now getting concerend with my car, it's been acting weird lately.. losing power, and sometimes it kills when you step on the gas or spudders. I have replaced the Air Filter, PCV Valve, Fuel Filter, Serpitine Belt, Coolant Flush, Fisk (Fuel System Cleaner), Oi System Cleaner, and Oil Change. I did notice a power increase and more reliability. My question is, is it safe to do a transmission flush on a vehicle that has had no transmission maintaince? I bought the car with 57k miles on it and only changed the oil. I have been told by many people that doing it could be dangerous because it is being held together by the "sludge" and grime in there. Then again i've been told by people that it is highly recommended. I am not sure what to do, i don't want to damage anything, so i figured i'd get more opinions on it, and research.

ANOTHER QUESTION->

Do hondas normally have problems with the rotor and distributer?? I have had to replace the rotor in my 91 at least 10 times now. The distributor seems fine, and the screw is always tight, it's just that the rotor gets wore down, and starts to move freely, no matter how tight i try the screw... It has fallen off a few times, i have tried lock-tite(red) and silicone. I can't seem to find out why it keeps doing that, is it spinning at such a high RPM to get up with traffic to actually wear down that fast? Normally i replace them every 2-3 months, and it's annoying. I was wondering if there was a solution to that, or anything that could be causing it.

And... when i put the rotor on, is there a SPECIFIC place that i'm supposed to line it up with? Because i normally just put it on, and screw it in, i didn't notice any markings or anything.. i wonder if that's where i'm getting my hesitation when i try to take off, or the spudders. I know my distributer cap clicks and taps a lot, i need to find a solution..

Thanks for your help,
Eddie

BrokenSoulzX@hotmail.com Email/MSN
Bababookie AIM

posted by  Jediah

What i meant to say is, with 117k miles i was told doing a transmission flush can be very dangerous, and could damage it permanently..

posted by  Jediah

If you are worried about the condition of your transmission for doing a tranny flush then perhaps you should get a tranny shop to check it out and see what kind of condition it is in. Although a transmission flush will not damage the transmission, and thusly if it is messed up afterwards odds are you would only have been preventing the inevitable by not doing the flush. I say go for it though as it should be done by now for sure.

posted by  Flame Roller

Your Message