Help!

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Help!

Ok, I am currently driving a 1988 Ford Bronco II 2.9L V6. It has a hesitation problem and a friend of mine recommended that I change plugs and plug wires. Is this the best option? I have changed the oil and air filter, but not to correct the problem. Just for maintanence. I was just wondering if there are any other suggestions before I go and buy something I might not need. Any feedback would be appreciated!

posted by  ferrarichika

Well that COULD fix it but.... There are alot of items that make up the powertrain management system. It could be ignition, fuel delivery, or a system sensor or control. Your best bet is to have it diagnosed by an experienced tech who can access the PCM and go from there.

I cannot stress the next sentence enough. Please don't go swapping parts because somebody "thinks maybe" it will fix your problem. Just last week I repaired a car after some "mechanics" had changed in excess of $650 worth of parts, and still didn't fix the problem. That number doesn't include labor. Granted some of the parts may have been bad but not all of them. The customer finally gave up and came in for some professional help. $65.81 later they were on the road with a good running car. That's $60 to diagnose and isolate the defective part, $4.75 environmental fee and $1.06 for a VACUUM HOSE.

I should also note that while we don't see this every day, we do see this type of thing on a weekly basis. The moral of the story is it's usually cheaper to have a "high priced shop" fix your car.

posted by  vwhobo

Ok. Thanks so much for your input. I wasn't planning on swapping anything and I think I'm going to take it to a dealer because now the hood is stuck closed and I'm afraid to mess with it. Thanks again for your response.

posted by  ferrarichika

Let me give you some unsolicited advice. Stay away from a dealer. While they are more up to date on new cars they don't do as well on older stuff such as yours. You'll also find their rates MUCH higher.

Look for an independent shop that displays the ASE Blue Seal of Excellence or at least employs ASE certified techs. These are people who have demonstrated the ability to repair your car the right way. I don't know exactly where you're at in Virginia but I provided a link that should help. Good luck.

http://www.aseblueseal.org/businesses/Shops.asp?PublicOnly=1&state=VA

posted by  vwhobo

Thanks so much for the advice. My auto tech teacher is ASE certified, so I've heard alot about ASE. Thank you for the link. I'll see what I can do. Thanks again! Your help is greatly appreciated. :)

posted by  ferrarichika

Well, I've got problems. More of them and I need some more advice, if you will. Evidently, I seem to have blown a fuse because I have no taillights. I have brake lights, but the taillights along with the dashboard lights are gone. Nothing. Zilch. So, I went to check the fuse panel on the driver's side under the dash and guess what? There isn't a single fuse int he correct place. Half of the fuses arent't even there. So now I'm really confused and not really sure what to do. This vehicle belonged to a family member who never takes care of their vehicles and they gave it to me. I'm thankful for having something to drive, but it's falling apart very rapidly. Help!! Anyone want to buy a Bronco II for parts?

posted by  ferrarichika

My only advice from a distance is this. Look at the inside of the fuse panel cover. It gives you a diagram of the proper location and amperage rating for all the fuses. Put everything where it belongs and give it a try, with any luck you'll have fixed your problems for little or no money.

posted by  vwhobo

But that's part of the problem. I checked the diagram and I don't have everything I need to put in the right places. I am literally missing several fuses and the few that are there aren't in right places, nor do they have the correct amperages.

posted by  ferrarichika

Well I didn't say this in my last post because I thought it was a little obvious. If you're missing fuses go to the store (car parts, Wal-Mart, etc) and buy some. Even if you have to buy them in the little boxes you won't spend more than $10 to replace all the fuses.

posted by  vwhobo

Hahaha. Thank you. I'm sorry, it's been a long day. Thank you so much for your help. You are awesome and I thank you again!

posted by  ferrarichika

just use foil and paper clips :D

j/k dont do that!

posted by  (o) (o)

Your Message