Hi all..new member needs help!!! :)

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Hi all..new member needs help!!! :)

Hello all.. I am so happy to find this forum. I hope I can get some advice here. This morning, as I was driving into work, I noticed a strange smell. I have a 2001 VW Passat. I was at a stop light and I noticed a strong burning rubber-like smell. I figured it came from the clunky truck in front of me. Once I began moving again, the smell got less, so I figured it wasn't my car. I was in traffic a little while later and noticed it again, this time I also saw smoke/fumes coming out of vent on top of the dash. I immediately shut off the heat, and the smoke went away. The smell got better as well. When I parked the car and got out, it smelled when I walked around the front. People at work say it's probably my heater core. I am just worried about driving home. I assume it is ok to do so as long as I don't use the heat. No other lights went on or anything else, and my car is running just fine. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help!!!

posted by  Annlucia14

Was it smoke or steam coming from your vents? If your window wasn't fogging up then it was smoke, in which case it most likely wouldn't be your heater core. Also, if it was the heater core you would be losing water. Was it more a sweet smell than a rubbery smell? If it was sweeter smelling it would be antifreeze and that would indicate a problem with your heater core. However, if it was smoke rather than steam, and a burning rubber smell it would probably be something electrical.

posted by  krispamispa

My windows didn't fog up and it was definitely a rubbery smell. It stopped once the heat was turned off.

posted by  Annlucia14

Well, it could be a wire melting, but it's pretty hard to say just given that information.
I don't really know anything about passats. It could be the wire's going to the heater motor are too small and too much power is going through them causing them to heat up too much. But I don't know how likely that is. I know some Nissans have that problem... *shrugs*

posted by  krispamispa

I appreciate your help anyway. It's going in to get fixed Friday. I hope whatever it is is under warranty, but I have a feeling it won't be.

posted by  Annlucia14

Well, ya never know. Hopefully they dont try to take advantage of your lack of cars. lol.. Good luck. :thumbs:

posted by  krispamispa

Hot water won't burn rubber.

I might be the cabin fan speed resistor overheating. Try running on high speed and see if smell disappears

posted by  Wally

Your Message