Tensioner Pulley Problem...Please Help

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Tensioner Pulley Problem...Please Help

Hi, I have an '02 Montero Sport and we just got it a week ago...a couple of days after we got it we noticed a squeeling coming fromt he engine. We took it to our local Mitsubishi dealership (a very small dealership) and they said that it was the tensioner pulley and that they did not have the part and would have to replace it the nex tday (X-mas eve). So we picked it up the enxt day and by the time we got it home it was squeeling again. My husband took it back up there on Monday and they sai the entire tensioner "housing" would have to be replaced and that it would take 3 days to get all the parts, and until then I could drive it. Well, my husband just looked at it again and he said that he can physically pull the tensioner pulley back and forth and he feels that they never replaced it in the first place and probably just sprayed it with WD-40.
My question is, do you feel this is what may have happened...and do you know of any recourse we can take...we are so worried to drive the car now b/c we have a 2 year old who rides with me to daycare in this car daily.

posted by  schuylerivey

I'm sorry...I should've also told you that it has 30K miles on it (still under warranty, thank God) it has a 3.5L 6V engine.
Another quick quesiton about the tensioner pulley...in other post, someone had stated that when they "revved" the engine up the squeeling stopped...that is not the case with ours. It just squeels all the time...it stays constant. I am worried that the idiots at the dealership ( a Chrysel/Mitsubishi?Chevy dealership) don't know what they are doing and are shooting in the dark here.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I was thinking of taking the car to a "mechanic shop" and just paying them to diagnose the problem for me and then taking it back up to the dealership with that info.

posted by  schuylerivey

okay you're going to mistake me for a moron for saying this but please heed the advice. I am by no means being stupid. Now take a bar of soap to the belt the pulley is on. Get a bar of Dial, it works the best and go out and start the car, stick your foot in it until it squeals and then have your husband take the bar of soap to the bottom of the belt. Don't use the whole bar, just enough to kill the squeal. My guess is they sprayed Wd-40 on it and that in turn dried the belt out so it makes more noise than it should. It you're looking to lube the pulley's use a friction based lubricant. Grease works well if you can find it, or a simple 3 in 1 home repair oil works even better. Just a few drops on the pulley though, anymore and you'll throw the belt. For your make and model vehicle if you toss that belt your alternator will stop working and you car will overheat. This can give you a blown radiator and/or alternator... That belt that squeals because of the lack of tension should control the fan and alternator in the car... Just use the soap until you can get a new housing unit.

posted by  wrecked00

Yes... yes I am. You are a moron.

Yes... yes you are.

Amost useful advise. Dangerous and stupid but almost useful.

WD-40 dries out belts? Serpentine belts are made to live in an environment of temperature extremes and occasional contamination from various chemicals. The time it would take for WD-40 to "dry out a belt" is measured in months or years not hours.

Friction based lubricant? Do you know the meaning of oxymoron? I know you have the moron dialed in. Grease or oil is okay on a belt but WD-40 dries them out. Go find a dictionary and look up "clue".

Really? How will being over lubricated cause the belt to throw?

Congratulations, you finally got something right.

Half right. How does a thrown/over lubricated/dryed out belt blow an alternator.

Get a new housing unit? What, are they moving to the projects? It's a tensioner assembly. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

If it's still under warranty, who cares. As long as you have documentation to show this is an existing problem during the warranty period, if the engine grenades due to improper or incomplete repairs they'll still have to fix it.

BTW, from your description of the problem, this is not rocket science. Start looking for and independent shop NOW so you can ween yourself from the tit of the stealership.

posted by  vwhobo

"Yes... yes I am. You are a moron."

-That was funny, I know my post was somewhat absurd but it was a temporary fix. In this thread you didn't even offer such, only to say if it's under warranty to let the some assholes who did the job incorrectly have another go at it... Sure, like a challenger explosion, Build me another rocket cheech.

"Yes... yes you are."

Idioms are like assholes, however you suffer from extreme logorrhea.

"Amost useful advise. Dangerous and stupid but almost useful."

-Amost useful? Have you tried it? It works. Amost, no. Usefull, sure. Good for about 3 days.

"WD-40 dries out belts? Serpentine belts are made to live in an environment of temperature extremes and occasional contamination from various chemicals. The time it would take for WD-40 to "dry out a belt" is measured in months or years not hours."

-Just because it's serpentine doesn't mean it's useful. Do you know the rotations per minute of a pulley? No of course you don't. Do you know the differences between Gatorback, Bosch, and Deutsch serpentines? No, I didn't think so. Some are smaller, some a cheaply made, and some have longer and thicker teeth.

"Friction based lubricant? Do you know the meaning of oxymoron? I know you have the moron dialed in. Grease or oil is okay on a belt but WD-40 dries them out. Go find a dictionary and look up "clue"."

-Oxymoron? So if one were to call you a Flaming cold ****ing fairy would that be an oxymoron? Shut up you flambouyant putz.

"Really? How will being over lubricated cause the belt to throw?"

-Too much lubrication. It's like a slip and slide with vaseline. You know, you're saturday nights for most of your life?

"Congratulations, you finally got something right."

At the buzzer *ding* with the last retort. You might turn a wrench for me someday if you're lucky sunshine.

"Half right. How does a thrown/over lubricated/dryed out belt blow an alternator."

-How does bush get re-elected? Shit happens, but I guarantee they do blow.

"Get a new housing unit? What, are they moving to the projects? It's a tensioner assembly. :banghead:"

-Does your backwoods ass own anything made over the year of 2000? Everything is in it's own unit now-a-days. You're the type who wipes his ass by gliding naked from the waist down across brown carpet on their knuckles right? That was fun ape shit, we'll do this again some time. I like the mediocrity.

posted by  wrecked00

Oh my goodness. Another pathetic little weenie who wants to pretend to be a big boy. I mean the only thing in life you have any skills at are masturbating and surfing the net and you can't even get those right. The next time you want to emulate my style it's done like this.

Your "temporary solution" was nothing more than a band-aid on a broken arm. And much like you it was entirely pointless.

No asswipe, opinions are like assholes. Or now we could change that to opinions are like wrecked00s. Nice ten dollar word, but... next time use it in proper context, it makes it so much more meaningful.

Yes, of course I've tried it but then I used to be a 12 year old moron too.

Do you know the "know the rotations per minute of a pulley?" It seems to me that would depend on the rpm the engine is operating at, the diameter of the driven pulley and the diameter of the drive pulley. So I can honestly say that unless I have values to plug into those variables, no I don't know. On the other hand you don't even understand the concept of your ludicrous question so why bother trying to teach you. As for differences between various brands of belts I'll ask the participants who attend the next Gates technical presentation if they think I do.

In other words you're not man enough to admit you're wrong so you try to cover for it with a bunch of fancy words. Talk about a perfect example of logorrhea.

You still don't get it do you. A v-belt rides in a groove which won't let it "slip and slide" out. A serpentine belt is also guided on the pullies. They were once called mini v-belts for a reason. The only thing excess lubrication will do to a serpentine belt is cause it not to drive accessories due to lack of friction. You know friction, what you like up your ass on Saturday nights for most of your life.

Twinkie, I wouldn't turn a wrench for an idiot like you if you were the last customer on earth. It's ass boys like you that make it difficult for professionals around the country to maintain any credibility.

Really? Are you sure? Is this speaking from your one day of automotive experience or have you read it somewhere? How about providing me with a link to a technical reference. Can't seem to find anything about that on SAE, iATN, ASA, etc. Maybe I should check my cable listings on the Fantasy Channel.

Gosh Clem, does my wife's '05 Ram Hemi count? How about the customer cars I see every day? Why is it you know nothing about cars but have a superior grasp on how to wipe your ass on carpet. Maybe a little more time spent on learning something worth while and a little less time having sex with your family members would cure that. Or maybe that's just how you get the friction up your ass the other six days of the week.

Finally, allow me to point something out to everyone. All this spewing of bullshit from a little man who is responsible for posts like this;

and this;

and this timeless classic;

So ladies and gentleman, ask yourself this question. Does the person typing those three posts sound like he has the knowledge, experience or ability to make decisions on someone elses vehicle. I think not.

So Sugar Pie, I think it's time for you to go back to your sandbox and play in the cat crap. Maybe you can do that right.

posted by  vwhobo

-Wow, you can use VB Code, I'll just do it my way okay sport? Great.

"Oh my goodness. Another pathetic little weenie who wants to pretend to be a big boy. I mean the only thing in life you have any skills at are masturbating and surfing the net and you can't even get those right. The next time you want to emulate my style it's done like this."

-Who told? My secret is out. Whatever will I do in this life.... I must now head out in the real world and hang my head in shame.

"Your "temporary solution" was nothing more than a band-aid on a broken arm. And much like you it was entirely pointless."

-Cliche. Keep going.... This is like one of those internet flaming tutorials isn't it? So far it's cliches and a FOAD (****-off and die).. You spend entirely too much time with these negative testicle thumping keyboard rants. Puff that little chest of yours out and lets continue...

"No asswipe, opinions are like assholes. Or now we could change that to opinions are like wrecked00s. Nice ten dollar word, but... next time use it in proper context, it makes it so much more meaningful."

Thank you dictionary.com... I feel so matter better. Grammar Police! Watch out now...

"Yes, of course I've tried it but then I used to be a 12 year old moron too."

-Explains the masturbatory reference.

"Do you know the "know the rotations per minute of a pulley?" It seems to me that would depend on the rpm the engine is operating at, the diameter of the driven pulley and the diameter of the drive pulley. So I can honestly say that unless I have values to plug into those variables, no I don't know. On the other hand you don't even understand the concept of your ludicrous question so why bother trying teach you. As for differences between various brands of belts I'll ask the participants to who attend the next Gates technical presentation if they think I do."

-You mean they let you sit in a room and associate with grown-ups? Variables, x=y, E=mc2, just shut the **** up already.

"In other words you're not man enough to admit you're wrong so you try to cover for it with a bunch of fancy words. Talk about a perfect example of logorrhea."

-Did you just fart?

"You still don't get it do you. A v-belt rides in a groove which won't let it "slip and slide" out. A serpentine belt is also guided on the pullies. They were once called mini v-belts for a reason. The only thing excess lubrication will do to a serpentine belt is cause it not to drive accessories due to lack of friction. You know friction, what you like up your ass on Saturday nights for most of your life."

-Thanks Sport, if I didn't ask questions I wouldn't obtain answers. Last time I checked that was the purpose of this forum. I don't need a misnomer such as yourself to give me the definitions. As for my saturday nights? Take a look around putz, you're here too.

"Twinkie, I wouldn't turn a wrench for an idiot like you if you were the last customer on earth. It's ass boys like you that make it difficult for professionals around the country to maintain any credibility."

-Professional? Someone pays you for this expertise? What do I owe you? $2.95 okay?

"Really? Are you sure? Is this speaking from your one day of automotive experience or have you read it somewhere? How about providing me with a link to a technical reference. Can't seem to find anything about that on SAE, iATN, ASA, etc. Maybe I should check my cable listings on the Fantasy Channel."

-Fantasy is your world turbo poster. I understand this now... Remember, you can always turn the pc off if this becomes to much for you.

"Gosh Clem, does my wife's '05 Ram Hemi count? How about the customer cars I see every day? Why is it you know nothing about cars but have a superior grasp on how to wipe your ass on carpet. Maybe a little more time spent on learning something worth while and a little less time having sex with your family members would cure that. Or maybe that's just how you get the friction up your ass the other six days of the week."

-None of my family members are that attractive, how much space is in the Hemi and when is the next time your wife is free? Does she have a gag reflex?

"Finally, allow me to point something out to everyone. All this spewing of bullshit from a little man who is responsible for posts like this;
and this;
and this timeless classic;
So ladies and gentleman, ask yourself this question. Does the person typing those three posts sound like he has the knowledge, experience or ability to make decisions on someone elses vehicle. I think not."

There's bitching, and then there's obsession. I couldn't differentiate between the tensioner and the pulley itself and I got confused. I'm not a grease monkey, if everyone were than this forum wouldn't be present.

"So Sugar Pie"

Yes my little anal reflexive ****wit?

"I think it's time for you to go back to your sandbox and play in the cat crap. Maybe you can do that right."

-Bitch fetch my plastic pale and shovel.

posted by  wrecked00

Need to give him a little bit of credit.He does type pretty good for an ass dragging knuckle walker.Jesus loves you,anyway.

posted by  lectroid

I love dealing with etards like you because you're so very predictable. You don't have anything to say of any substance so you just go off on your little tangents hoping to sound as though you have a clue. Isn't it odd that you don't have an answer to any of the questions or points I brought up. The reason is because you're so far over your head all you can do is close your eyes and swing. Well, it doesn't wash here Zippy. Time for you to go back to your father/brother/cousin/boyfriend (whichever you want to call him tonight) and get your Saturday night dose of fanny friction.

So impress us all Twinkie. In three sentences or less, tell us all about your resume of automotive training, knowledge and experience. My guess is you can't even fill up one line.

posted by  vwhobo

"I love dealing with etards like you because you're so very predictable. You don't have anything to say of any substance so you just go off on your little tangents hoping to sound as though you have a clue."

Can you say Egotistical? Go on do it.

"Isn't it odd that you don't have an answer to any of the questions or points I brought up."

-You never make any points. Most of the time it's pud thumping retorts that are easily interpretted as "Look at me, in real life I work in a garage! People pay me and sometimes I put air in their tires and clean their windows!"

"The reason is because you're so far over your head all you can do is close your eyes and swing. Well, it doesn't wash here Zippy."

-You never answered as to whether or not she had a gag-reflex?

"Time for you to go back to your father/brother/cousin/boyfriend (whichever you want to call him tonight) and get your Saturday night dose of fanny friction."

-Yeah, I'm a queer. You know what they say... Sometimes when you speak profusely of homosexual actions, it means that inside you're a fag just trying to compensate. Go ahead, let the world know you're a cockslob. It's okay. It's widely accepted in some parts.

"So impress us all Twinkie. In three sentences or less, tell us all about your resume of automotive training, knowledge and experience. My guess is you can't even fill up one line."

-Gee, Let me see. I have never taken any courses except basic automotive at the local community college, however I did pay for it myself. My first ride was a 1970 Chevy C10, I had to wire the ignition switch myself, replace the water pump, the distributor, the capacitor, the solenoid, the Carburator, the fuel line, the alternator, throttle return spring and cable, and I put duals on it. My second ride was a 98 Grand Prix I had the pleasure of replacing the quarter panels and front grill, radiator, fan, blow motor, and fan clutch on because I was careened into by a drunk. My third ride was 93 Ford Festiva in which I had to replace the headlight assembly due to a short in the wiring harness, the alternator and radiator due the fact that the v-belt slipped and in those model of cars the alternator overheats and fries the copper conduction wires and the bottom pulley turns the fan which let the car overheat and before I knew it blown radiator. Now my current car is an 89 Tempo with bad bearing in the idler pulley, a thermostat that sticks in various intervals, Plugs weren't gapped correctly, put plugs in, catalytic converter removed and a straight pipe ran through, replaced the v-belt, replaced the AC compressor as it locked up in when put into Drive. For the reference I mistook the idle tensioner for the idle pulley and the thermostat was located in the hose connected the radiator and resevoir on the bottom end. I don't pay arrogant grease monkeys like you to do the work. I ask questions, buy a chilton and take my ass on to Autozone. No I have no experience what so ever dickbreath.

posted by  wrecked00

You not only have no experience, you can't even accurately count to three. Instead of coming to this forum and giving advice you would do well to sit down, shut up and read. You are not in a position to give advice because you don't have anything worthwhile to advise upon.

Unfortunately for forums, people like you must be tolerated until you find somewhere else to spread your bullsh*t. And as for your "grease monkey" moniker, that is simply laughable. When you approach the level of education and training that I have, not to mention experience, you can tag me with a name like that. Until then you can call me Sir, much the same as you would when trying to get a job at one of my shops as a floor sweeper. But then I'm guessing you'd be incompetent at that too.

posted by  vwhobo

Prediction. He's typing some ignorant response right now. :wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

"You not only have no experience, you can't even accurately count to three. Instead of coming to this forum and giving advice you would do well to sit down, shut up and read. You are not in a position to give advice because you don't have anything worthwhile to advise upon."

-You said I couldn't fill up one line, 3 sentences or less? This isn't one of your homo rants. I'll do as I please thanks.

"Unfortunately for forums, people like you must be tolerated until you find somewhere else to spread your bullsh*t. And as for your "grease monkey" moniker, that is simply laughable."

-Why didn't you bring me my plastic shovel? I'm waiting.

"When you approach the level of education and training that I have, not to mention experience, you can tag me with a name like that."

-When? Yes, my little e-whore admit potential and try to grasp the last word. Save the dignity because I, like the thousands of members on this board ask questions.

"Until then you can call me Sir, much the same as you would when trying to get a job at one of my shops as a floor sweeper."

-No thanks Porky. I'm a web designer by trade.

"But then I'm guessing you'd be incompetent at that too."

-Do I have to pass a urine analysis? By the way, does she have a gag reflex or not? I'm still curious.

posted by  wrecked00

Yup. that's right. Coming from someone who has damn near 4000 posts in 11 months. Blow me shopkeeper.

posted by  wrecked00

So that seals the deal. You have nothing useful to add to this forum. You also appear to have an obssesion with beastiality (Porky) and oral sex (continous reference to gag reflex). I think they have web sites for your kind of people who like to gag on pig penises. Go to one now and leave us alone.

BTW, in the real word "web designer" is a fancy name for an unemployed computer geek who has a sunburn from his monitor and hasn't touched a live female since the last time he French kissed sister. As for me it's time to go jump in bed with my beautiful wife which will allow you some quality time with your father/brother/cousin/boyfriend and his pig. Have a wonderful evening getting porked.

posted by  vwhobo

Here's a tip. Shut off your computer and learn to count. You have now earned the title Car-Forums.com http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/vwhobo/douchebag.jpg .

See ya!

posted by  vwhobo

"BTW, in the real word "web designer" is a fancy name for an unemployed computer geek who has a sunburn from his monitor and hasn't touched a live female since the last time he French kissed sister. As for me it's time to go jump in bed with my beautiful wife which will allow you some quality time with your father/brother/cousin/boyfriend and his pig. Have a wonderful evening getting porked."

Yes, your wife is beautiful. While you thought she was asleep she and I were conversing and she sent me a full frontal nude. Just my type... Look at the snout of that bitch! Hot damn!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/wrecked00/doggywoof.jpg

posted by  wrecked00

Further proof of what I said. You have a hang-up with beastiality. You are a sick individual.

posted by  vwhobo

Here you are wrecked00. This one is for you.

http://funnyjunk.com/pages/fool.htm

posted by  DodgeRida67

Your Message