Low differential fluid

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Low differential fluid

What are some of the symptoms / resulting problems you can think of? Thanks.

posted by  JaneiR36

Maybe it's just me (probably is) but are you asking what could be causing a lowering level of diff. fluid or what will happen because of it?

posted by  DodgeRida67

What will happen because of it.

What are the consequences of low or contaminated or needs to be changed differential fluid.

posted by  JaneiR36

okay... I guess I might have a leak..........

There seem to be these drops of an oily substance hanging from underneath the cover plate, I guess. It's on the area around the sale level as the oil pan, but on the opposite side.

It's just... I may have totally screwd some things up, I'm just wondering if some symptoms I'm experiencing that have been around for a long time might be because of the differential fluid which has gone ignored for a long time.... and that would be another one of my screw ups.

posted by  JaneiR36

well there's also stuff on the axle, but i just figured the underside of a car's supposed to be greasy? oy vey...

posted by  JaneiR36

There are only about 4 locations for the oil to leak out of a differential.
1) Cover gasket
2) Differential front u-joint seal
3) The axle seals into your rear brakes.

Most differential leaks are slow leaks and may take a long time to cause a real problem. (The 90 weight oil has such a bad smell you will probably smell the leak if it is significant.)

If the level reaches a low level, there will be some very bad indicators. The first will be a whining sound from the gears, telling you it is probably too late to add more oil. Once without lubrication, you can drive for only a few blocks before it is time to replace the gears!

The level check is quite easy, remove the fill plug and the oil may start to slowly drip out, or a finger dip test in the hole as a dipstick. It is also a good idea to visually inspect the oil that is on your finger prior to wiping it off. In the sunlight. there should not be any tiny sparkles in the oil. Any sign of pretty metal flake sparkles is a sign of something wearing and previews of coming attractions.

posted by  ErnieIII

Your Message