Taurus Missing

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Taurus Missing

My 99 ford taurus has a tendency to miss consistently only around 40 mph. I really am not sure as to what the cause is.

This past week, i noticed it as high as 48 mph, which makes me think its getting worse.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

posted by  vertigo84

it wouldn't hurt to get the timing checked on your car. it is only a few years old, but that could be the problem. it could be a little bit off, which could cause the 40 mph being the place where it misses. thats about all i can share.
sorry i cant be of more help

posted by  kye 166

Hello, Vertigo, I also have a 99 Taurus and it has the same problem as yours, and I have no idea as to what causes it. Could you shed some light on this? It also seems to get worst when I turn on the air conditioner. Thanks Vertigo, Nico.

posted by  Nico

Hello tbaxleyjr, the code is P1131, I checked it courtesy of Autozone, they gave me a print out of 4 possibles:
1. Misfire on bank 1
2.Vacuum leak affecting bank 1 only.
3.Fuel Injector problems at bank 1.
4. Engine mechanical condition.

I doubt that the problem would be at number 4, it runs pretty strong otherwise.
What do you think?
Thanks.
Nico

posted by  Nico

Hello tbaxleyjr, the one and only code is P1131, I checked it courtesy of Autozone, they gave me a print out of 4 possibles:
1. Misfire on bank 1.
2 Vacuum leak affecting bank 1 only.
3. Fuel Injector problems at bank 1.
4. Engine mechanical condition.

I doubt that it would be the engine, it runs pretty good otherwise.
What do you think?
Thanks.
Nico

posted by  Nico

Before you have it timed, why don't you check the spark plugs and wires. I've had that happen on quite a few cars that I've been around. You could just replace the plugs, but if the problem persists, then you should change the wires. That's why I would recomend replacing them both.

posted by  DavidReuben

I mentioned that a couple of posts up. That would be the first thing to do rather than start hooking a bunch of hoses up.

posted by  DavidReuben

I apologize for the tone of my post.

From what you said in the previous post to this one, it could also be a bad O2 sensor. Though it probably would have indicated that in the trouble codes.

posted by  DavidReuben

Well you can check it by turing the car on and hooking a voltage meter up to the O2 sensor(I had to make jumper wires when the O2 sensor went bad in my '02 Passport), and find out how many volts it's putting out. You would have to know what is normal for the specific car. Because that's directly related to how rich or lean the fuel mixture is.

posted by  DavidReuben

about changing the spark plug wires.. even though they are pretty cheap.. no need ot just change them find out what is the spec. resistance for your wires take an ohm-meter.. measure the resistance.. if you are out of specifications .. only then you shoud change the wires

posted by  ateymura

Your Message