93 Taurus Overheating

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  93 Taurus Overheating

OK here is my problem as it happened... I had a coolent leak from the water pump brought it to a shop and had a new waterpump put in after I got it back the heat needle would go from normal temp to high and back down would happen constantly no matter what I was doing then one night it overheated as I was stopped at a drive threw... So that made me think it was the thermostat heat was feeling weaker so I just replaced that Heat working fine but the car is still overheating.... what else could be causing the car to overheat?

posted by  93TaurusOwner

Oh ya my roommate seems tothink alll the air is not purged correctly from the water pump can ANYone pleasSe help me with this problem

posted by  93TaurusOwner

Hey, here's a dandy idea. How about taking it back to the shop that did the work and asking them what the problem is. Alternately you could keep randomly replacing parts, shooting in the dark and wasting money until you either fix the car... Or blow it up.

posted by  vwhobo

:screwy: :laughing: :doh: that about it explains it I guess

posted by  93TaurusOwner

Pay no attention to the Hobo, He's the resident asshat of this forum. He's mostly a copy and paste junkie who thinks he works in a garage. Try paying attention the fan in the car... If it doesn't kick on you definitly should take it back the garage. If it does, figure on consulting a manual about your car. It could either be the fan motor, back pressure in the hose, or the thermostat could be installed incorrectly. Most of the time you find the thermostat in the mouth of the water pump that connects your hose and radiator. Sometimes in a lot of fords you find the thermostat in upside down, people install them wrong, should be spring side facing towards pump and gasket and top spindle in the hose.

posted by  wrecked00

What do you mean my thermostat isnt connected to the waterpump it is above it next to the air intake I have the spring side facing out into the thermostat housing... is this correct I havent had much time to really look into it lately but I did not see the fan come on when the car was starting to overheat

posted by  93TaurusOwner

Ha ha ha! You made me laugh so hard I almost pissed my pants (want another taste?). You're such a zero it's even in your name TWICE. Do you even have a clue what a water pump looks like? Part of your post is a near copy and paste of what I said ("you definitly should take it back the garage") and the rest is simply blathering bullsh*t. "Most of the time you find the thermostat in the mouth of the water pump...". Really? Can you name one car that the thermostat mounts in the water pump? Can ya? Well?

You are a perfect example of all that is wrong with online car forums. You think because you have the ability to type and you've driven a car before that you are an expert. Well here's a news flash for you Twinkie. From your posts, you've displayed a special level of incompetence in the automotive world. The best thing you could do for yourself, and more importantly everyone else, would be to take your "web designer" (secret code for unemployed computer geek who masturbates frequently) ass and go back to participating in your beastiality forum where you are no doubt the administrator (meaning he administrates knobbers on donkeys).

In closing I can't even tell you to think, type, submit because you are only competent at two out of three, so I'll end with this. Go piss up a rope and quit confusing people looking for help.

posted by  vwhobo

well here is my status I took back out the thermostat and found out that it was indeed backwards :banghead: so I flipped it around got a new gasket and sealed it I started the car let it warm up and the thermostat is now opening and pushing water because the tube get warm but now my heat isnt working at all .... The car did not overheat but it did get kind of hot until the fan kicked on then it went back down to normal... and fluctuated between hot and normal but not overheating... and no heat.. :ticking:

posted by  93TaurusOwner

How are you, and I'm assuming you are, bleeding the cooling system after reassembly? That MAY be an important piece of this puzzle. I suggest you read this http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2200 and then re-state/re-ask your question and concern. If you read your first post in this thread, you jumped right in the middle of the problem with little or no pertinent information.

posted by  vwhobo

sorry man just such a hassle ive been havin trying to get it fixed so I can go to college in a couple months but here is the car : 1993 Ford Taurus 3.0 litre v6 FI Automatic Transmission 160,000 miles 4 door power everything

Ok here is what I got from my friend he says since I put the thermostat in backwards that I somehow screwed it up so now it opens at a lower temp which is why im getting no heat and the car is getting hot but not to hot.... make any sense?

posted by  93TaurusOwner

It is possible that you damaged the t-stat by installing it upside down. I don't even know how you got it to fit inside the housing without deforming it. At this point I would certainly suggest throwing another t-stat at it if for no other reason than it MIGHT be damaged. Make sure you use one rated at 195 degrees.

However, you said the temp guage "fluctuated between hot and normal but not overheating". If the coolant is hot enough to show good temp on the guage, but there is no heat in the cabin, it still sounds like possibly trapped air, a clogged heater core or... Well I can't see the car and you didn't answer my question about your bleeding procedure. Try a new t-stat and call me in the morning.

posted by  vwhobo

Oh sorry i just drained the coolent from the bottom of the radiator and when I refilled I pushed on the hose with the radiator cap off and then ran the car for a minute then put the radiator cap back on to get rid of any air in the system

posted by  93TaurusOwner

That's not exactly a bleeding procedure. Maybe it's time to get a manual and read it. College students do still know how to read, right?

posted by  vwhobo

Dumbass, It turns out my advice was damn near dead on. I'm going to bookmark this thread, so when you do refer to me as stupid, we can show everybody you offered no advice and well I helped. You keep track of that, because I said so.

posted by  wrecked00

Now how did I know you were going to come back for your "I told you so" rights. he he :laughing:

posted by  JaneiR36

well i believe the problem is fixed thnx everyone that helped VWhobo and Wrecked00

posted by  93TaurusOwner

Your Message