'87 Monte Carlo Starter Replacement?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  '87 Monte Carlo Starter Replacement?

I need to replace a starter for an 87 Monte Carlo v6 4.0L. I know that its the starter, but I don't know exactly where it is located or how to go about taking it out.

Will I need to jack up the front of the car? The car can't be moved because it can't start, so I'll have to jack it up where it is right now if that's the case. Is there anyway to just go in through the hood to get to the starter?

If you have a picture of exactly where it is I would be forever greatful.

I know to disconnect the battery.

Thank you,

~DF

posted by  dfownz

I have 18 years experience working on '87 Monte Carlos and have never seen one with a "v6 4.0L". More information, or at least correct information would be a step in the right direction. Try this;

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2200

More importantly, if you have so little experience that you don't know where the starter is, how can you with any authority determine that the starter is in fact the problem? Enquiring minds want to know.

posted by  vwhobo

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/Assets/Images/MAR%2004/CRYSTAL%20BALL.JPG

posted by  DodgeRida67

Just so you know, I'm stealing that picture for future use. Thank you.

posted by  vwhobo

I have absolutely no experience with Monte Carlos, I was simply told that it was a 4.0L. It isn't my car. I know what the starter looks like, and that it needs to be replaced. When the key is turned the engine never beings tumbling. I hear a rapid clicking, which would be the starter trying to engage the flywheel. I was simply asking for help finding out exactly where the starter was.

posted by  dfownz

Or a bad connection, loose ground, or even a weak battery.

posted by  DodgeRida67

You sure they didn't say 5.0? that sounds more like it. Anyways jack up the car and go under from the front , right near the exhaust hook up , the starter will be there. when you take it will take some wiggling to get it around the exhaust at least it did in my 84 ss. I'm assuming they'll be pretty much in the same place.

posted by  MonteMan

Your Message