89 Pontiac Grandprix coil testing

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  89 Pontiac Grandprix coil testing

I just purchased this 89 grandprix at an auction and it wont start up. I cant get any fire from the sparkplug so I suspect the coil pack.Do anyone know how to test the coils using a multimeter?The coils have two sparkplug connections per coil. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks Taylor

posted by  taylor

Yes, it's called going to the store and buying a manual. The alternate procedure is to go to the library and borrow a book. I hope this helps... well, not really but I hope it at least turns on that little 15 watt light inside your head.

posted by  vwhobo

Thanks vwhobo, I purchased a haynes manual and it's not in there. I was hoping maybe someone with a bit more intelligence would offer their help. Thanks anyway.

posted by  taylor

No, I think you're confused and have it backwards. I was the one hoping to reply to someone with a bit more intelligence. I won't call you a liar as I have no use for printed manuals anymore but I find it extremely difficult to believe that the Haynes manual doesn't contain that info. However if you have any idea how to proerly test any coil the procedure is the same. As for the resistance values, of the top of my head I'm going to say ;

Primary resistance = 0.4 to 0.8 ohms

Secondary reistance = 8.5k to 10.5k ohms

Got it? BTW, I guess I was just supposed to know you had a manual based on information from my crystal ball. Next time start here http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2200 and you'll have a better chance of getting a straight answer the first time.

posted by  vwhobo

Thanks again vwhobo. I really appreciate you helping me. I hope you can accept my apology.

posted by  taylor

Hope it helped, no apologies are needed. BTW, the chance of all three coils packs going away at once are essentially zero. You're more than likely looking at a CPK or the module.

posted by  vwhobo

That info really helped me vwhobo but what is a cpk?

posted by  taylor

Sorry, I made a typo (or had a brain fart) and typos really count when you're only working with three letters. It should have said CKP which is the acrynom for crankshaft position sensor.

posted by  vwhobo

Thank you for all your help vwhobo, I really mean that.

posted by  taylor

Thanks tbaxleyjr for that info , I am going to check with the autozone store in this area and go to the library,I dont like the shotgun approch.

posted by  taylor

not saying this is always the case but if you have no spark, it's a few things.. the crankshaft position sensors are known to fail on those cars, but most often it is the control module , and they put the module under the coil packs, gm does not specify a resistance test for the coil packs, but the likely failure of all three coil packs is unlikely, get a multimeter and test the inputs to the ignition control module, if you wanna go farther just ask.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

roger that!

Thanks for the reprise of the info I gave him four days ago. Almost the exact same thing I told him except I gave him the numbers to ohm check the coils. I guess maybe they just don't specify the resistance where you live. :roll:

posted by  vwhobo

hmmm wierd cuz the coil packs plug into the ICM and you cant test the coil packs individually, and once again GM does not specify resistance for that paticular vehicle, unless it has a distributor and a remote coil in which case you could have 5,000-10,000 ohms

but it doesn't so it doesnt matter

So what you're trying to make us all believe is that a coil pack won't have specific primary or secondary resistance inless it's plugged into the module. Can you say bullsh*t?

posted by  vwhobo

i didn't state this and damn your fast at posting i didn't even get a coffee down b4 you jumped on me, look im not trying to argue with you.. but help the guy out, it's basic electricity and yes it would have a resistance but do you wanna lead him into about 2 hours of taking out the coils from the module and test them on the bench. individually? that would be pointless, i was just skipping the bs and time wasting of actually trying to test the coils.

If it takes you two hours to pull the coil packs and test them you must be using your toes. On the other hand if you're so concerned about wasting time, his, mine and yours, perhaps you'd like to read the sixth post in this thread where I stated "BTW, the chance of all three coils packs going away at once are essentially zero." So once again I beat you to it.

What BS would you like to skip to now? :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

alright fair enough gg hobo

Damn, I forgot. What you stated is;

What exactly are you stating besides "you cant test the coil packs individually", "GM does not specify resistance for that paticular vehicle" and of course "unless it has a distributor and a remote coil".

So tell us, what exactly did you state if not what I just quoted. Before you reply keep in mind, words mean things.

posted by  vwhobo

look all i was saying is a real technician does not jump in and start testing coils! this is one of the last steps on this paticular vehicle. i was really only trying to add a few comments that might help him with his problem and you seem to wanna blow it up and go on a tangent, picking apart whatever i say. anyway gg you win whatever you like hobo

Well no, that's not what you were saying. As a matter of fact you never said that at all. The funny thing is that I never said that's where he should start either, I was simply answering his question. BTW, if you want to tell me how a "real technician" does it, I'll be happy to compare education, experience or credentials with you anytime. Have a nice day.

posted by  vwhobo

your education /experiance and whatnot means crap to me ive met techs in the buisness 35+ years and still know sfa about anything so don't put that crap on me, what matters to me is the way you express yourself right now and as far as im concerned your on a high horse and feel the need to ridicule anything cuz your un happy in life and venting on these people makes you feel good about yourself by making others feel stupid

Funny, that education and experience seems to mean an awful lot to my many loyal customers. You're the type of person that would rather be patted on the fanny and ripped off then get the truth, good or bad. You base the message entirely upon the messenger. Your loss. At any rate, since you can't seem to answer the topic of our conversation, I'll leave you with this.

I did nothing at all to make you feel stupid. I only confirmed what you already suspected. That's a problem you'll have to deal with.

posted by  vwhobo

I'll try to put this politely. You may have some training BanffAutoSpa_ap.Get your schooling when and where you can get it. It's true and a fact that the Hobo has a different personality. You can take him or leave him. I really don't believe you will win an argument when it pertains to mechanics(with him).I should have said automotive knowledge. :oops: If you take the time to listen to the old bastard,you'll learn a lot. One thing he doesn't do, is blow smoke up your as#. :mrgreen:

posted by  lectroid

Hey, I resemble that remark! :laughing:

posted by  vwhobo

You certainly do. :clap: Everbody gets old.Well almost, I'm the exception. :doh:

posted by  lectroid

Your Message